Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Richmond And Motive Question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Richmond And Motive Question.

Recently installed a set of 3.73 from Richmond in my 7.5". About a week later the whine was so bad not even my exhaust or Stereo could drown it out. They were checked by a couple of Axle shops and they were installed fine with minimum lash. So now i have a gutless .600 lift LS1 with 2.73s and im straying torwards a set of Motive 3.90s, Anyone have some info on them?
Old 06-30-2016, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Motives tend to be a little quieter then richmond, but they are not oem gears and tend to make a small amount of noise. A quiet hum or whine over a narrow speed range typically 55-60mph is normal with these gears. Keep in mind this is only heard with the windows up and a quiet exhaust with the radio turned down. A loud whine over a wide range of speeds indicate a gear set up problem. AAM gears are the oem gearset for GM and are cut differently requiring a tighter backlash, they are the only way to get a "perfectly" quiet rear end in our cars. Keep in mind f-bodies are hard to get a quiet setup due to being a unibody and having a torque arm that magnifies any small noise from the rear end, and must have a dead on pattern to be completely quiet.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by McGinnis
Motives tend to be a little quieter then richmond, but they are not oem gears and tend to make a small amount of noise. A quiet hum or whine over a narrow speed range typically 55-60mph is normal with these gears. Keep in mind this is only heard with the windows up and a quiet exhaust with the radio turned down. A loud whine over a wide range of speeds indicate a gear set up problem. AAM gears are the oem gearset for GM and are cut differently requiring a tighter backlash, they are the only way to get a "perfectly" quiet rear end in our cars. Keep in mind f-bodies are hard to get a quiet setup due to being a unibody and having a torque arm that magnifies any small noise from the rear end, and must have a dead on pattern to be completely quiet.
All I needed to know! Thank you.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Motive over Richmond any day in my book. Every set of motive gears I've used have been quite
Old 07-01-2016, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Ive had fantastic luck out of blue box motives. Ive had noisy results from orange box motives, my current richmonds, and a set of summit brand gears.

Quick Reply: Richmond And Motive Question.