Take a look at my pattern - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Take a look at my pattern

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #1
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
boosted-delslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 19
Default Take a look at my pattern

I am setting up gears for the first time and was wondering if you guys could take a look at my pattern and tell me what you think. I am installing motive 4.10's. The pinion depth that was etched on the face of the pinion was 2.292. I was able to get it to 2.290 with the shims that were supplied in the install kit. I installed the factory carrier shims to see where is was and it gave me a backlash of .0065. The backlash spec in the motive directions call for .007-.009 so I am on the tight side of things. I though I read somewhere that you didnt want a hard cut line on the root side of your pattern but I cant find where I read that. Just wondering what you guys think. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at my pattern-img_1371.jpg   Take a look at my pattern-img_1372.jpg   Take a look at my pattern-img_1373.jpg   Take a look at my pattern-img_1374.jpg   Take a look at my pattern-img_1376.jpg  

boosted-delslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (90)
 
01ssreda4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turnin' Wrenches Infractions: 005
Posts: 22,280
Default

That pattern looks fine to me, and I always go a little tight on the backlash, wont hurt a thing.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
TECH Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
FirstYrLS1Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Euclid,Ohio
Posts: 2,921
Default

^^^ as stated above,tight is better. As the pattern wears in with use and as the passenger side carrier bearing(assuming new bearings were installed) wears in to establish its' pattern,it should end up in that .007-.009 range.
I once set up a gearset with .001" lash(the pattern was good) and it lasted for 'forever'. The larger the lash,the more the impact distance when meshing as when 6Ms' are shifted,doesn't matter that much for A4s'.
FirstYrLS1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #4
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
boosted-delslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 19
Default

Thanks guys. I did put all new bearings in so I will button it up and see how it goes. Thanks again.
boosted-delslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:58 AM   #5
10 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 1,114
Default

The pinion looks a smidge close but will probably be fine. If you wanted to make sure I would take .002-.003 off the pinion shim and re-check.
alocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
Launching!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 280
Default

Did you get the orange box gears? G841075 or something. Let us know if you get a noisy set up or not. Im interested because I just put in motive 3.73 last fall and they are quiet accept for a very minor whine on accel. I went a little less deep on than pinion then you, just curious.
WS6wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (90)
 
01ssreda4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turnin' Wrenches Infractions: 005
Posts: 22,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6wanted View Post
Did you get the orange box gears? G841075 or something. Let us know if you get a noisy set up or not. Im interested because I just put in motive 3.73 last fall and they are quiet accept for a very minor whine on accel. I went a little less deep on than pinion then you, just curious.
Both my Orange sets have been noisy from about 45-60. I just did another brand two days ago and they were dead silent so its not the installers fault I dont think.....
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
Launching!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
Both my Orange sets have been noisy from about 45-60. I just did another brand two days ago and they were dead silent so its not the installers fault I dont think.....
I agree with you 01. Im still curious tho wheather it makes a difference. That looked like one of my pattern choices that I ended up changing at the last second before trying the gears.

Hope it all buttons up nice for OP
WS6wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (90)
 
01ssreda4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turnin' Wrenches Infractions: 005
Posts: 22,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6wanted View Post
I agree with you 01. Im still curious tho wheather it makes a difference. That looked like one of my pattern choices that I ended up changing at the last second before trying the gears.

Hope it all buttons up nice for OP
Just bought a set of 4.30s for my yukon that I tow with. I went Motive blue box, and hopefully with a nice pattern they will be as quiet as stock.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
Launching!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocker View Post
The pinion looks a smidge close but will probably be fine. If you wanted to make sure I would take .002-.003 off the pinion shim and re-check.
I agree with this . The hard line you see is the pinion may be a little to deep.The coast side also had a hard line at the bottom and a round shape at the top . As stated take .002 to .003 off the pinion shim and check to see what you have . I would also shoot for .007 to .008 b/l . Let us know what it looks like after .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (90)
 
01ssreda4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turnin' Wrenches Infractions: 005
Posts: 22,280
Default

Pinion is definitely on the closer side due to the hard line but I would run this pattern, I prefer it near the base if possible anyway. Also, the one I did sunday did not have a 3 variation. I went in with a 30 and the hard line was high, change to the 35 (next one up) and it gave me a lower hard line and thats what I ran with. Sometimes you gotta do the best you can with the shims you got.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #12
TECH Regular
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Traverse City MI
Posts: 492
Default

I put the orange box 4.10's in my buddys ls1 car this past summer, and they dony make any noise. If they do its so faint you cant hear them over his exhaust.

I put the blue box motive 4.30's in the 8.5" in my car a couple years ago and they are quiet, no noise.

I think if you know what your doing and the gears are setup right and you still get some whine its manufactured in the gears.
onebadbowtie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
boosted-delslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 19
Default

I actually haven't had a chance to put it back together yet due to work and kids. I did take the carrier back out because I need to install the crush sleeve. For the heck of it I decided to measure the pinion depth with the new bearing I pressed on to the pinion vs the mock up bearing that I made. I wanted to check to see if it changed with the new bearing since it looked like the pinion was a little close. The result was 2.288 inches vs the 2.292 that was engraved in the pinion face so it is .004 deeper than what they are recommending it should be. As 01redssa4 stated above they dont really give you that many shims in the install kit so you cant really take out .002-.003 with the supplied shims.
boosted-delslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #14
Launching!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted-delslow View Post
I actually haven't had a chance to put it back together yet due to work and kids. I did take the carrier back out because I need to install the crush sleeve. For the heck of it I decided to measure the pinion depth with the new bearing I pressed on to the pinion vs the mock up bearing that I made. I wanted to check to see if it changed with the new bearing since it looked like the pinion was a little close. The result was 2.288 inches vs the 2.292 that was engraved in the pinion face so it is .004 deeper than what they are recommending it should be. As 01redssa4 stated above they dont really give you that many shims in the install kit so you cant really take out .002-.003 with the supplied shims.
You may try .005 and set the B/L at about .007 to .008 and see what you get . Also I have sanded down shims to remove .001 or so to fine tune . Your kit should let you get .005 . That would put you at 2.293 . Once the bearing has set you should be pretty close . I also have a depth tool ( T&D ) . I set the pinion on spec first and go .002 up and .002 down and see which pattern is the best . If the pattern looks close to the same I set it to spec or I go with the best pattern . I have had great success doing it this way .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #15
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (90)
 
01ssreda4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turnin' Wrenches Infractions: 005
Posts: 22,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86 View Post
I put the orange box 4.10's in my buddys ls1 car this past summer, and they dony make any noise. If they do its so faint you cant hear them over his exhaust.
I noticed a tunnel mount torque arm makes gear whine lots more noticeable in the cab.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My First 10 bolt Rebuild, FINALLY Done! WS6wanted Gears & Axles 34 10-09-2016 09:34 AM
Pattern Check? Opinions WS6wanted Gears & Axles 1 08-23-2016 11:14 PM
Gear pattern help, please! 3.73 Motive 10 bolt mikedamageinc Gears & Axles 15 05-16-2016 08:05 AM
check my gear wear pattern, backlash problem thunderlsx Gears & Axles 2 03-21-2015 05:35 PM
Pinion Depth BigJoeBob1 Gears & Axles 13 04-02-2007 08:22 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: