Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveshaft salvageable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft salvageable?

This might seem like a dumb question but would you say this ds is salvageable? Bought it a little over a year ago and went to the track this past week and turns out the torque arm bracket failed on me and rubbed against the driveshaft. Contacted the place I bought it from and they're washing their hands of it. So I'll need to buy a new bracket and bolts which will put me back about $140 but I'm hoping to avoid buying a whole new ds if possible and see about taking it to a ds shop.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can this driveshaft be saved?

Bought the torque arm and ds a little over a year ago when the torque arm bracket failed and rubbed against the ds and now the vendor is washing his hands of it. Can I take the ds to a shop to be repaired or do I need to buy a new one?

Old 04-18-2017, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

It appears there may have been a set up issue or manufacturing issue as those heim joints are out further than they ever should of been. As for salvageable you risk the chance of a driveshaft failure and you will once again be back to purchasing more than just a driveshaft if it fails.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

When it breaks, where will you be and how inconvenient will it be to get it home.
YOU are going to be THAT GUY at the front of the traffic jam.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

It appears you launching it pretty hard to break that bracket. Get rid of that aluminum driveshaft and go chrome moly or steel. But you can have that one retubed, and a new yoke put on.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTur1996
It appears you launching it pretty hard to break that bracket. Get rid of that aluminum driveshaft and go chrome moly or steel. But you can have that one retubed, and a new yoke put on.
Are you implying that an aluminum shaft won't hold up to hard launches?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

But you can have that one retubed, and a new yoke put on.
By time he took it somewhere to have all that done...it'd probably be cheaper and easier just to buy another shaft, as he'd be replacing almost all of it anyway.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteenH
Are you implying that an aluminum shaft won't hold up to hard launches?
Okay let me help you guys comprehend what I wrote. The first sentence said, you must be launching pretty hard to break that bracket. This is just a statement not referring to anything else. The sentence, get rid of the aluminum shaft is because, just like what the guy below said, and is an opinion and a suggestion. I'm sure there are aluminum shafts that you can get that will hold up. Just wouldn't want one for my car.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
By time he took it somewhere to have all that done...it'd probably be cheaper and easier just to buy another shaft, as he'd be replacing almost all of it anyway.
And the sentence that said, you can retube, and a yoke, is simply, answering the OP's original question. Not what I would suggest. If you read again, I suggested (nothing more) to get a new shaft.

This is a tech site, and as much as some people would like it to be. Its not yellow bullet. So attacking people, for simply not being able to comprehend something, is not what this site is about. Have a nice day.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Okay let me help you guys comprehend what I wrote. The first sentence said, you must be launching pretty hard to break that bracket. This is just a statement not referring to anything else. The sentence, get rid of the aluminum shaft is because, just like what the guy below said, and is an opinion and a suggestion. I'm sure there are aluminum shafts that you can get that will hold up. Just wouldn't want one for my car.

And the sentence that said, you can retube, and a yoke, is simply, answering the OP's original question. Not what I would suggest. If you read again, I suggested (nothing more) to get a new shaft.

This is a tech site, and as much as some people would like it to be. Its not yellow bullet. So attacking people, for simply not being able to comprehend something, is not what this site is about. Have a nice day.
And who was attacking ?
Old 05-14-2017, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Damn someone is sensitive.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

uh - better pull these out:

Old 05-16-2017, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey bleepster. are those the brand that you use? Have never seen or even heard of anything like that. But you seem to be an authority on them. Everyone says you always smell like a Christmas tree. Must be why.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft salvageable?