Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

best rear for road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best rear for road racing?

If you were going to buy a rear for a raod race setup what would be the best one to get and what options?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been happy w/ my modded 10-bolt for 4 years of road course useage. All bearings are Timken, axles and c-clips are Moser, posi is a Torsen HD, gears are Richmond with a solid crush sleeve.

Only repairs I've done thus far are replacing the axle tube bearings and seals...one seal was leaking a bit, so I did both sides and the bearings while I had it apart.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Extreme Chassis 8.8" with a Torsen T2R differential if you can afford to wait.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LittleDonny
Extreme Chassis 8.8" with a Torsen T2R differential if you can afford to wait.

How strong is that compared to a 12 bolt or a 9"?

I'd like to get the 9" because of its strength but from what I've read it doesn't seem like they're very road race friendly and they don't match up with your car unless you already have traction control which mine doesn't (I may be farting this data out of my *** so correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 06-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

As strong or maybe stronger than a 12 bolt, not as strong as the 9". It's not just a factory 8.8", it's pretty beefed up. It's the stock size for V8 Stangs, so parts and people familiar with them are easy to find. It's also much, much lighter than the 12bolt or 9" which is crucial if you want to road race - unsprung weight is your enemy.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

And also, I'm not aware of a good solution for a 9" with non-TCS rears. The 8.8" has a non-TCS (3 channel ABS as opposed to 4 channel which TCS cars have) solution. But, like I said, you better be ready to wait - it's one guy custom fabbing them to fit the fbody, and with it's popularity, you can bet there are a lot of people in line in front of you. I've personally waited about 10 weeks, but it should be ready to go anyday now.