Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Needs Pic's Of Backing Plates Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver2
I'm at my last nerve with this rear end. I installed the pan hard brace and bought double adjustable lower control arms from Midwest Chassis and adjusted everything and tried backing out of the drive way rear end moves left to right or right to left depending on which way I turn. Had to keep jacking rear end up and move car a little at a time to get it back straight into drive way. Everything is tight and equal threads showing on control arms!! Damn if i know whats going on. All i know is i messed up a fresh paint job and tore the hell out of my drivers side lower rocker. The only other thing i can think of is the bearings or movement with in the rear end its self. Its got to be moving 3-4 inches from one side to the other.
Man that is weird. It's not possible to have movement like you describe from the rear axle itself.. unless your axle bearing is so screwed that the wheel is ready to fall off.

The panhard bar should be keeping the rear axle from moving left/right. Try a swaybar like Bob said and see how that works out.. you should have one anyway as running without a rear swaybar you won't get any decent traction.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No leaks anywhere. I don't know what all the torque arm does but I find it to be a weird set up since Ive alway owned full frame cars in the past. LOL . It bolts to the rear end and goes in a clam shell in the front and can move freely in a rubber bushing. The torque sticks out past the bushing around 3 to 4 inches. Weird!
Old 11-04-2017, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Launch
Man that is weird. It's not possible to have movement like you describe from the rear axle itself.. unless your axle bearing is so screwed that the wheel is ready to fall off.

The panhard bar should be keeping the rear axle from moving left/right. Try a swaybar like Bob said and see how that works out.. you should have one anyway as running without a rear swaybar you won't get any decent traction.
I tried to move the rear wheel/axle with a ratchet strap and it wouldn't move at all. The rear end turns just like you're front wheels do except you have no control over it. LOL

Could the frame be doing something weird ? Myself and a friend tied the frame with 2x2 square steel? HUMMM

Last edited by Driver2; 11-04-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

No leaks anywhere. I don't know what all the torque arm does but I find it to be a weird set up since Ive alway owned full frame cars in the past. LOL . It bolts to the rear end and goes in a clam shell in the front and can move freely in a rubber bushing. The torque sticks out past the bushing around 3 to 4 inches. Weird!
The torque arm acts similar to the 2 upper control arms of a typical 4-link, except it's much longer and it plants the weight of the front of the car onto the rear axle.. which is why you see so many 4th gens (like Bob's car above) on the back bumper.

Without seeing a vid of your car and what the rear axle is doing it's difficult to understand what your issue is. Possibly the rear swaybar acts to hold the rear axle from moving too much together with the panhard bar and your swaybar is missing.

I have rod-end heim jointed(both sides) adjustable lca's and panhard bar the same as yours, and still the stock rear swaybar, with full spool, mine the rear end is solid and stable. I get a bit of clunk noises at low speed turns from the full spool, that's it. I wind the car off the speedo WOT without any issues. And anything above 15mph you don't even know it has a full spool in it. It still handles high speed corners as quick as you ever want.

Last edited by Launch; 11-04-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Forgot to mention I get no tire scrubbing at all and my tires sidewalls are barely 1/2" away from touching the inside of the tubs (above where the bump stops sit).
Old 11-05-2017, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

The torque arm acts similar to the 2 upper control arms of a typical 4-link, except it's much longer and it plants the weight of the front of the car onto the rear axle.. which is why you see so many 4th gens (like Bob's car above) on the back bumper.

Without seeing a vid of your car and what the rear axle is doing it's difficult to understand what your issue is. Possibly the rear swaybar acts to hold the rear axle from moving too much together with the panhard bar and your swaybar is missing.

I have rod-end heim jointed(both sides) adjustable lca's and panhard bar the same as yours, and still the stock rear swaybar, with full spool, mine the rear end is solid and stable. I get a bit of clunk noises at low speed turns from the full spool, that's it. I wind the car off the speedo WOT without any issues. And anything above 15mph you don't even know it has a full spool in it. It still handles high speed corners as quick as you ever want.
Thanks for the info! I'll order a rear sway bar this week. I'm seeing it with my own eye's and i can't see whats moving other than the whole rear end moves.It's like a set of wheels without a steering wheel to control it.LOL
Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Bob? What do u have for a sway bar in stock with end links and all mounting hardware and a price? You already know what rear end I have!

Thanks Bill
Old 11-05-2017, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

You should get a camera stuck under there to see what is going on. If the panhard is in there correctly and tightened down, the rear should not move side to side--even without a sway bar. Especially in the driveway.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dw456post
You should get a camera stuck under there to see what is going on. If the panhard is in there correctly and tightened down, the rear should not move side to side--even without a sway bar. Especially in the driveway.
That was my thoughts from the beginning. I can see the beifits of having a sway bar but don't think it's my problem with the rear end doing what it's doing but everyone say's u need a sway bar.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That was my thoughts from the beginning. I can see the beifits of having a sway bar but don't think it's my problem with the rear end doing what it's doing but everyone say's u need a sway bar.
Bill, have you had anyone looking under the car wile you push on the body side to side? That's the first thing I would do to see if you can find the problem.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/BMR-XSB00...BMR-XSB001.htm
I can have this anti roll bar shipped out tomorrow to you. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-05-2017, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Bill, have you had anyone looking under the car wile you push on the body side to side? That's the first thing I would do to see if you can find the problem.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/BMR-XSB00...BMR-XSB001.htm
I can have this anti roll bar shipped out tomorrow to you. Bob
No I haven't,nobody lives close to me that i could get to help. Well i got one friend who lives down the street but has a bug up his *** and hasn't spoke to me in to weeks. lol
Old 11-05-2017, 12:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

No I haven't,nobody lives close to me that i could get to help. Well i got one friend who lives down the street but has a bug up his *** and hasn't spoke to me in to weeks. lol
That's too bad! If I was closer to you I'd stop over to help you get it sorted out. Bob

Old 11-05-2017, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
That's too bad! If I was closer to you I'd stop over to help you get it sorted out. Bob
I went out to the garage and messed around with it again and heres what i did. Took my floor jack and jacked car up on pass-side just behind the front wheel until rear wheel came off the ground and it went straight into the quarter fender and lower rocker. Went to drivers side repeated the something and rear tire went into quarter fender and lower rocker I can't see anything thats moved anywhere. I'm almost convinced it's the frame thats giving? Just about to start looking for a roller and gut this car out for everything thats good and junk it!
Old 11-05-2017, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

A few from today and a few from in driveway yesterday. Thats just from jacking up one side of the car.
Attached Thumbnails Needs Pic's Of Backing Plates Installed-img_20171105_141152364_ll.jpg   Needs Pic's Of Backing Plates Installed-img_20171105_141243686.jpg   Needs Pic's Of Backing Plates Installed-img_20171104_123550688_hdr.jpg   Needs Pic's Of Backing Plates Installed-img_20171105_142823006.jpg  

Last edited by Driver2; 11-05-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Is your torque arm bolted onto your rear axle housing properly
Old 11-10-2017, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

I think i have figured this out. I think my torque boxes are flexing which i need to find someone better than myself to weld some plates to stiffen them up.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:17 AM
On The Tree

Is your torque arm bolted onto your rear axle housing properly
My torque arms are in the second hole from the bottom. If i try putting them in the lower hole i end up with to many threads showing.
Sorry about that i thought u said lower cantor arms .lol. As far as the torque arm i only see two options which is two holes but it only fits in one set of the holes other wise i would need to grind off some material .

Last edited by Driver2; 11-12-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Update? Did you find out what the problem was yet? To me, in the pic of the passenger side jacked up with the pole beside your car, the tire doesn't look right. Not to sound retarded, but it looks like the axle bearing may not be on. Meaning the axles are moving inside the axle tube.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Believe it or i order the BMR sway bar and installed it and back out of the driveway and drove it around the block the rear end never moved.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Believe it or i order the BMR sway bar and installed it and back out of the driveway and drove it around the block the rear end never moved.
That's awesome!!

Quick Reply: Needs Pic's Of Backing Plates Installed