Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MWC Delivered BIG!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to offer an update now that I'm coming to the end of my break-in period. I've started to get used to all the heim joints, and while I'm still considering going back to poly LCAs, or possibly a poly/heim, it's not as big of a deal anymore. I've now seen speeds as high as 90 mph and have yet to see an ABS light. It would seem that MWC's creative yoke mounted 3-channel solution works great. I have some light gear noise when accelerating lightly during cruising, but it's not very loud, and happens infrequently enough that I don't care. In reality it's exactly what I expected it to be. As long as it holds up to some abuse at the track I'll be a very happy camper.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
What's the difference between a 3 channel and a 4 channel ?
not sure if you got the info you were looking for. In addition to what's been said, the three channel abs is set up to measure the speed of the differential carrier with one sensor. The four sensor setup actually measures the speed of each axle shaft via it's own sensor for each one. 3 channel = left front sensor + right front sensor + differential carrier sensor. 4 channel = left front sensor + right front sensor + left rear sensor + right front sensor. For 3 channel, a 9" only needs one tone ring (the thing with teeth on OP's pinion yoke), but 4 channel needs a tone ring on each individual axle. On the factory rear, those tone rings are right where the bearing retainers are on the 9". Different 9" makers solve this differently, apparently some better than others...
Old 07-21-2018, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

90 day update: I still haven't tracked this setup, but will as soon as we get some better air. Everything is broken in now, and the setup has performed well through a mix of city and highway driving, and certainly a few hard pulls. There is some whine in higher gears during light acceleration, but it's not bad at all.

I did end up modifying the heim LCA' from MWC by adding a universal screw in poly end from UMI. UMI's set has the right things size and direction, and went in with no issues. What a difference they made! I feel like this is the perfect LCA setup now.

I will be pulling my heads soon to address a few valves that have lost their hardened tips. I debated upgrading my setup at the same time, but I've spent too much this year already. I will be upgrading the rockers, installing thinner Cometic gaskets and measuring for new pushrods. With that and a few other intake/exhaust changes I should put down similar Dyno numbers to what it did before the rear swap, which should allow for some good track times this fall.

I'll update this again in a few months...