Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt to 8.8

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way too much hate on the 8.8. I’ve got one in my car. May have $800 in it with fab work and all. I ordered the hiltsy Mount and had a friend weld it on for me. Then took the car to chassis shop and he charged me $600 to do all the weld work and measuring. He cut the short side tube on my explorer 8.8 and added I think 3” to center it up. Actually used a factory long side axle out of another explorer. I went with Viking double adj so all he had to do was weld on the tabs for the shocks to mount to. Used factory mounts up top obviously. So didn’t have to worry about spring perches. I’m using the explorer calipers and all. My car runs pretty well with plenty spray right out the hole.

so imo, do it! Even if you break it which I highly doubt you will you can the upgrade the axles and all that. Explorers came factory with 31 spline axles and they’re pretty tough.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah a 8.8 with 31 spline axles is plenty strong. 28 and you might have some issues eventually.

a lot of people on this forum dump serious coin on 9" and want to justify their purchases.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by enyo
Yeah a 8.8 with 31 spline axles is plenty strong. 28 and you might have some issues eventually.

a lot of people on this forum dump serious coin on 9" and want to justify their purchases.
That's a pretty bold statement. I bet "if money was no object" people would choose a lightweight fab 9" 99% of the time. The 8.8 is a c-clip rear (lame), the outer bearings ride on the axle shafts (lame), and the way the torque arm goes on is a stupid setup for a stock height f-body and often punches a hole in the floor lowered ride height (a dumb design by GM that most aftermarket rears continue to use). Now is the 8.8 a decent cheap alternative...sure. Just silly to say we have to justify spending big money on a bad *** rear. I want the best rear for my car for how I use it and the best rear hands down for my car was a MWC fab 9".