Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Leaking 10-Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Replying to post #17. They're white when new but don't expect to find a white vent plug. As they vent fluid,it becomes oily and holds any dirt that contacts it. They're always black/filthy. Or could be it's already broken off OR already removed and the hole just plugged.
In my case it's removed altogether. I cleaned the hole and it seems to be clear of debris and dirt
Old 07-20-2018, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

From all the heat cycles and being exposed to all the elements its not surprising that yours is missing/broken off. They aren't a very tight fit so I could even see one getting forced out by pressure build up if the little orifice was clogged. I had the same oil out the cover issue you are seeing and ended up pulling out the breather, taking off the tip/cap and drilling a bigger hole. This was after cleaning it up and trying to check air flow and I could barely force air through it. Even after drilling a bigger hole I had oil leaking from both axle ends so I did what every man dreams of in situation of stressing over the 10-bolt....I ordered a MWC Fab 9" rear.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
about every 3 years my pinion seal starts leaking. maybe its time for a shiney new rear cover?
Those covers don't do anything for heat sinking.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I cleaned up the hole as best I could. There wasn't anything clogging the hole as far as I could tell. So I just took some RTV sealant and applied it around the affected bolts to hopefully slow down the leak or stop it altogether. I know its not a permanent fix, but it's better than nothing
Old 07-21-2018, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

A lot of times those breathers are steel not plastic. I never use a gasket on rear end covers, just permatex. Let it dry for a few hours before adding gear oil. It will never leak again around the cover.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

D44/D30 axles you always just use the high temp Red RTV, seldom have a leak.
Unless someone over-tightens the cover bolts and dimples the cover with the paper gasket.
Then you use a socket as a anvil and a Round side of a ball peen to gently dimple them towards the outside..

On the breather I usually use a barb fitting and a loop of hose with he breather cap in the end,
you can get steel ones for trans shops and or axle shops. On my jeep they have 4' of hose to
make a anti leak loop in case of rollover...

Quick Reply: Leaking 10-Bolt?