Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Torque arm mount for 8.8.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Torque arm mount for 8.8.

While cruising the Ford boards I noticed a lot of the road race guys adapted the 8.8 to a torque arm. I thought this was interesting.

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...20Torque%20arm

It shouldn't be too hard to make something similar for the Fbodies.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I forgot all about that. The 8.8's out of Mustangs etc had a factory sound/vibration deadener mounted on them. The 8.8 housing has cast in ears that were used for the vibration deadener that most everybody uses to mount a T-arm in the ford camp.. I had made a T-arm and used those mounts to hold the rearend portion on my old 93 5.0. It ran 10.20's and never had a problem with those mounts breaking.

That's the way to go IMO if for some crazy reason people just must use a 8.8 in their f-bodys.
Steve
Old 07-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

They do seem to hold up. Adapting the end to meet up to the stock torque arm mounts should work instead of using the subframe bracket in the picture.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea, but check out the prices. the cheapest one is $711.00. adding this to a 8.8 rear will make the cost of it higher then just buying a strange 12 bolt. then you will have to modifiy it to work on an f-body. i would rather go with a welded mount to accept a regular TA so save cost. sure people have been breaking them lately, but this is usually because of the welder doing the job.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i was thinking about the same issue. the mustang guys use torque arm that mount off the center section. maybe that way all the issues off breaking the welds off the 8.8 wont be such a factor. if i am not mistaken, prices vary from company to company on that kinda torque arm. maximum motorsports always made good suspension for mustangs and one hell of a torque arm. from what i have seen, ford's 8.8 has proven to handle more power than a chevy 12 bolt and is more effecient.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Well guys its not the actuall weld failing, it was the tubing ripping right after the welds wich does infact cause all the other welds to brake apart. so there have been improvements and a totally different design with more bracing that also bolts on, in addition to having square tubing twice the thickness (of the round tubing) and 4 times the weld area where it was breaking! so there are no worries about the TA mounts now just so everyone knows the 8.8's have been totally redesigned and are bullet proof. thanx
craig
Old 07-18-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trubo
Well guys its not the actuall weld failing, it was the tubing ripping right after the welds wich does infact cause all the other welds to brake apart. so there have been improvements and a totally different design with more bracing that also bolts on, in addition to having square tubing twice the thickness (of the round tubing) and 4 times the weld area where it was breaking! so there are no worries about the TA mounts now just so everyone knows the 8.8's have been totally redesigned and are bullet proof. thanx
craig
with the 8.8",is it possilble to use a mustang style torque arm for f-bodies without major modification?
Old 07-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Well a mustang doesn't have a TA from the factory thats why this thread was started about and aftermarket one, mustangs use upper control arms instead.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trubo
Well a mustang doesn't have a TA from the factory thats why this thread was started about and aftermarket one, mustangs use upper control arms instead.
i am aware of that, i have owned 3 previous mustangs. what i wanna know is if i were just get a ford 8.8" would a mustang style torque arm(aftermarket unit of course) work with minor mods?
Old 07-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Launching!

we need to keep this thread alive. we need more info from some previous mustang owners who have delt with this style torque arm. do f body owners still need to cut the axle tubes and get custom axles. what kind of modifications are we looking at becuase i have a surplus of 8.8 if i need one and a damn good welder so please i will b e willing to give er a go if i could get some more info.

Quick Reply: Torque arm mount for 8.8.