Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Torsen Troubleshooting Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torsen Troubleshooting Help

I was "acting up" the other evening, and when I shifted (granny shifting) from first to second, the rpms hit the rev limiter and I had a tinny, grinding sound coming from under the car, and the whole car was shaking. It makes this sound/shakes in every gear, and acts like a slipping clutch in that I can't give it more than a very little throttle in any gear and the sound/shake repeats. I originally thought it was a clutch, ordered another Z06 clutch (I have a 2001 TA) and pulled the tranny/clutch out. The clutch does show signs of abuse (I've only had the car a short while), although it isn't that bad.

My son was outside with me asking about the car, and I was gonna show him how the posi works. I told him to hold one wheel, and I went to the other side to turn the wheel, turned it and got a clunking/grinding (not loud) when I turned the wheel. Pulled the diff cover, and the fluid was dark with metal pieces on the magnet.

My question is this, will the Torsen differential allow one wheel to basically freewheel, unlike the clutch type posi units??? Mine does... Will the torsen when it goes out, give the same type of symptoms as described above??

Thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 01:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, stock Torsen and all upgrades except the T-2R
will freewheel. But if you had the kid apply some drag
torque to the other side they should move together.

My magnet was full of shavings at 20Kmiles. Shavings
are I think a natural "meat byproduct". Chunks on the
other hand, means time for something to be replaced.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks JimmyBlue.

I am now thinking that I will put the cover back on the rear end after I finish the clutch, and see if it repeats... If'n it does, then I don't hafta redrain the fluid, if'n it doesn't, then sealer and fluid and a big sigh are in order.