Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

is it time for me to get a drive shaft??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default is it time for me to get a drive shaft??

ok well i am doing heads and cam soon. i have the stock rear end but will be getting a 12 bolt next year. should i get a drive shaft now or should i wait until i get the rear end? i just dont wanna snap it runnin around on the street with the addition of the cam and heads. let me knwo what you guys think
Old 02-07-2005, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M6 or A4? I say you're ok until you get slicks and start hard launching.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forget the 12 bolt with a M6 with cam and heads, 9". If you get a new DS now, which you probably will need after your mods, then you'll need another one when you switch rears.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigdsz
Forget the 12 bolt with a M6 with cam and heads, 9". If you get a new DS now, which you probably will need after your mods, then you'll need another one when you switch rears.
why do you say forget the 12 bolt? im just worried if i drive around with that power if the stock aluminum one will fail on me if it is run hard. i wont be on slicks or anything until i get a new rear, or should i just get a new DS now? if im gonna have to get a new one anyway, where can i get a HD stock replacement cheap that wont bust on me?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use the search feature in this section and I think that will convince you that you'll kill a 12 bolt with your mods. I just got a 9" a couple of weeks ago because others put the fear of a 12 bolt in me. My Denny's Nitrous came in the mail today. Anything other than stock tires will gernade your rear or DS.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah, im just worried about fitment of the 9 inch and making sure everything will work. i want it to function just like the stock rear, with all attachments and all. i dont want to modify much of anything. i have looked this up for a while and im really torn between the two but started to lean toward a 12bolt. how much does a 9 inch run and how was yours goin in? would i be safe on nittos and stock ds? if not ill get a steel one but i dont need the best right now if im gonna sell it in a year, who makes a good one for under 300?
Old 02-07-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Norris Motorsports that does my major installs and dyno tuning has told me for years if I use anything other than stock tires, including DR's, that I will break the rear and or DS. I have lived for a long time without much traction, next week my Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials will be in, can't wait.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i guess ill start up a new thread on what drive shaft to get by on until i do a rear, thanks for they info
Old 02-07-2005, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigdsz
Norris Motorsports that does my major installs and dyno tuning has told me for years if I use anything other than stock tires, including DR's, that I will break the rear and or DS. I have lived for a long time without much traction, next week my Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials will be in, can't wait.
I got mine today! They are made of Super Glue! Those ***** stick to the pavement! I was dumping the clutch on the street at 4000 rpm with 25 cold psi's, and my 413/383 motor bogged! We're going to have to dump this thing at around 5-6k.

Even I am now regretting my *new* 12 bolt, thinking it was going to handle the load. I guess a spool is my only alternative now...

Quick Reply: is it time for me to get a drive shaft??