Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Why not shift into 5th in1/4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why not shift into 5th in1/4?

My car is getting the tranny rebuilt/strengthened now. They are also checking out my 10 bolt as I think I hurt it on the same run I broke the tranny on So I may be getting my 12 bolt sooner than I expected.
I've searched, and seen MANY threads discussing gear ratio's with many saying "I/you don't wanna shift into 5th in the 1/4." Why? does power fall off bad due to it being an overdrive gear? Is it the time lost shifting? possibility of missing 5th? Some of all those?
I'm considering 4.10's or 4.30's, I am now bolt-on only, but, will be stepping up to one of the larger cams soon(MS3,TREX,torquer). Also may be spraying.
Just curious what the main reasons were that ppl don't want to shift to 5th.
Sorry if this is a stupid ques. just been wondering, and never seen anyone explain why.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as u said its the power loss. Wen u go into 5th its an overdirve gear which us under a 1:1 ration in the trans. In this case the power going to ur rear is lower than the actual power coming from the motor. Y make the power just to loss it? 4th gear in the stock tranny is the last gear that holds/makes power. Its a direct drive gear at a 1:1 ratio
Old 02-24-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

well put, even simpler, why drop so far out of the powerband for the last few hundred feet? thats just asking for a higher timeslip.....
Old 02-24-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

On top of the other things said: 5th and 6th are not built for strength like 1st through 4th. The T56 wasn't designed to be powershifted into 5th or 6th. On top of dropping out of the powerband slightly, shifting slowly into 5th will obviously increase your ET.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LoPeY
On top of the other things said: 5th and 6th are not built for strength like 1st through 4th. The T56 wasn't designed to be powershifted into 5th or 6th. On top of dropping out of the powerband slightly, shifting slowly into 5th will obviously increase your ET.
4th wasn't designed to take many hard shifts either as I found out .Getting the stg.3 build and shifter stops now. I guess I'd better go with the 4.10's at least till I see how high I will be spinnin it later on.
Thanks for the replies!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SStillSSmokin
4th wasn't designed to take many hard shifts either as I found out .Getting the stg.3 build and shifter stops now. I guess I'd better go with the 4.10's at least till I see how high I will be spinnin it later on.
Thanks for the replies!
I think it would help a lot if our transmissions came with the steel 3-4 shift fork like the Viper.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LoPeY
I think it would help a lot if our transmissions came with the steel 3-4 shift fork like the Viper.
Yup, mine will now And the billet synchro struts!