Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Buying Rearend Soon... Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying Rearend Soon... Need Advice!

Hey I have a 1999 Camaro z28 (M6). It will be a heads/cam/exhuast/intake car (sometimes a shot of n2o but a small one). I am curious as to what read end and options to get with it would be best for my application. Keep in mind my car is a daily driver and sees the track once and awhile. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

A 12 bolt would probably be best IMO. Do you want to keep ABS, do you have TCS? Check out a few sponsor websites to get an idea of prices and opitions.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Launching!

I don not have TCS and I wouldnt mind keeping ABS, but how big of a difference is ABS opposed to no ABS?

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:47 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ABS is a relativly new thing in the automotive industry lots of fast cars out there that have never even heard of it. its not all that deadly to chunk it. however, you will have to loose the front ABS as well. billingsly racing sells an ABS delete block if you wish to chunk it.

if i was you, since you are able to drive your car and you dont have a broken one in your driveway, i would order a 9" and delete the ABS (cant have it on a 3 channel car w/ a 9"). 9" rears are about as bulletproof as you are going to find. you could have peace of mind about it this way.

a 12 bolt's arent quite as strong but could retain your 3 channel (ABS only car)
Old 02-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Launching!

So u suggest a 9" and then to have the ABS deleted?

By the way, What is the difference between 3 channel and 4 and what does it all do if u dont mind me asking.

Thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

Get a 9 inch.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Launching!

I called and asked a local shop what they suggested and they told me to go with the 12 bolt cuz with my setup a 9" would be too much rearend! I will also be getting rid of my ABS, I hate it anyways!
Old 02-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Launching!

What do u guys think about this by the way?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Launching!

ttt...
Old 02-24-2005, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

so is a 12 bolt strong enough to hold up to a M6 car with some mods and a maybe a little spray (100-150 shot?), what about with 315 nittos and some ~4000 rpm drops. I drive 95% on the street, but plan to go to the track, and maybe later Ill get some slicks. I plan on upgrading very soon and if im spening the money on a new rear end I dont want to have to worry about it ever again, I want it to be able to handle all the abuse it may see.

Ive read the Posi is the weak link, what about getting a 12 bolt with a locker, would this be a good street setup as well as able to handle track use for a M6 car?
Also, is there any difference between a regualr and "soft locker"?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure if a locker, especially a soft locker, is available for a 12 bolt. Yes the posi is the weak link. I'm going 9 inch with soft locker someday. They are supposed to be a lot quieter.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:44 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by ABadMother1999
I called and asked a local shop what they suggested and they told me to go with the 12 bolt cuz with my setup a 9" would be too much rearend! I will also be getting rid of my ABS, I hate it anyways!
no such thinga as too-much rear end!

ls1tech > local shop

unless that "local shop" is like MTI, HPE, speed inc, TSP, thunder etc

a 4 channel car, has 4 speed sensors, one on each wheel (traction controll car). also known as TCS or ASR.
a 3 channel car has a speed sensor on each front wheel, and one in the center section of the rear end (3 of them = 3 channel). these cars (like yours) have no TCS/ASR

you can get a spool for a 12 bolt and it will be very strong, but not as streetable(which is a relative term).you can get a locker for a 9" and it will be strong enough to for just about anything.

the m6 cars (with very high power levels) tend to break the 12 bolt rears on occasion, but its almost unheard of in autos. i know powell's car was running low 9's with 8 second aspirations on a 300 shot w/ an auto thru a 12 bolt if that puts it into perspective. i would get a 9" from billingsly if you arent hurting for transportation (like i was), and have all the goodies for it installed. you will be able to throw anything you have at it and it will laugh and keep on rollin billingsly has the nicest stuff i've seen

they are a board sponser, check 'em out ----->
Old 02-25-2005, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

so whats a rough estimate for the HP or TQ that would break a 12 bolt (with M6).
What Im unsure of is the strength comparisons between the 12 bolt and 9".
My cars not a drag car but I like to get on it pretty often and plan on getting some HP adders.

Whats the comparison in strength between a 9" w/ a spool and a 12 bolt with the posi?

are there lockers available for the 12 bolt, I couldnt really find any except for maybe the ARB air locker which I dont want. any automatic ones?

Also, how much more complitcated are the 9" to set up, (TQ arm problems, no ABS?)
Thanks for your help
Old 02-25-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigSteele
so whats a rough estimate for the HP or TQ that would break a 12 bolt (with M6).
What Im unsure of is the strength comparisons between the 12 bolt and 9".
My cars not a drag car but I like to get on it pretty often and plan on getting some HP adders.

Whats the comparison in strength between a 9" w/ a spool and a 12 bolt with the posi?

are there lockers available for the 12 bolt, I couldnt really find any except for maybe the ARB air locker which I dont want. any automatic ones?

Also, how much more complitcated are the 9" to set up, (TQ arm problems, no ABS?)
Thanks for your help

12 bolt posis can get broken fairly easy if you are putting down decent power (not sure, maybe 400 rwhp) and launching high with slicks.

I would go 9 inch soft locker, that's what I'm getting. A LOT stronger than ANY posi, and still streetable.

I don't know of any lockers for 12 bolts.

If you have TCS AND ABS (4 channel) its no problem. Moser makes bolt in housings with a torque arm bracket.

Hopefully I helped a little.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

that did help a lot, thanks for the info.
Where are you planning to get yours from, moser?

Ive heard a lot about gear whine, would it be a wise idea to buy the components and have a shop install the gears and assemble what needs to be assembled (I plan on swapping the axle out but I dont want to mess with the gears) or would this be a lot more expensive.
What is the cheapest way to build a sturdy 9" that has little/no gear whine
Old 02-25-2005, 12:45 AM
That's what she said...

a 9" with a spool will go 7 seconds before it blinks an eye. think tractor pulls here...

it's not likley that you will break a 12 bolt's posi (eaton HD like i have) on nittos. et streets or somthing will tear one up in the 11's though.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigSteele
that did help a lot, thanks for the info.
Where are you planning to get yours from, moser?

Ive heard a lot about gear whine, would it be a wise idea to buy the components and have a shop install the gears and assemble what needs to be assembled (I plan on swapping the axle out but I dont want to mess with the gears) or would this be a lot more expensive.
What is the cheapest way to build a sturdy 9" that has little/no gear whine
Down the road when I get one (I've got too much else to get right now), I'm buying from Billingsley (sponsor).

Yes, have a reputable shop set it up. Make sure you use Motive gears and a solid crush sleeve and that's about all you can do IIRC. Shouldn't be too bad.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
no such thinga as too-much rear end!

ls1tech > local shop

unless that "local shop" is like MTI, HPE, speed inc, TSP, thunder etc

a 4 channel car, has 4 speed sensors, one on each wheel (traction controll car). also known as TCS or ASR.
a 3 channel car has a speed sensor on each front wheel, and one in the center section of the rear end (3 of them = 3 channel). these cars (like yours) have no TCS/ASR

you can get a spool for a 12 bolt and it will be very strong, but not as streetable(which is a relative term).you can get a locker for a 9" and it will be strong enough to for just about anything.

the m6 cars (with very high power levels) tend to break the 12 bolt rears on occasion, but its almost unheard of in autos. i know powell's car was running low 9's with 8 second aspirations on a 300 shot w/ an auto thru a 12 bolt if that puts it into perspective. i would get a 9" from billingsly if you arent hurting for transportation (like i was), and have all the goodies for it installed. you will be able to throw anything you have at it and it will laugh and keep on rollin billingsly has the nicest stuff i've seen

they are a board sponser, check 'em out ----->
The shop is "Speed Inc" lol! Thats the only reason I am taking this into such deep consideration. Ill give them a call on wednesday and finalize what they think my setup should be one last time! Ill keep u guys updated!