Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Installing Moser 12 bolt-not overly inpressed

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Moser 12 bolt-not overly inpressed

So I am in the middle of installing a 12 bolt Moser on my Camaro, and so far I'm a little disappointed in the way this is done. I guess the $2400 price tag made my expectations a little higher.

1-They send T-bolts to bolt the brake caliper flange to the axle tube, but they don't send the nuts! There was an extra trip to the store.

2-Their is a threaded hole on one of the axle tubes, looks like the same spot as the filler hole on the stock rear ( I am assuming this is where you add the gear oil, someone correct me if I'm wrong). The plug from the stock rear pulls right out. So, you'd figure it would fit right in the hole in the Moser. Not so much. Now, I gotta make another trip to the store.

All that said, it does seem like a pretty stout piece, and I hope it will all work out in the end. The joys of modding.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

HA...I feel ya!

I had to make a trip to get a set of bolts/nuts so I could bolt up my TA. Also had to make another trip to get my old U-joint off my driveshaft...

Make sure you have 2 3in. exhaust u-bolt clamps for your swaybar...you'll have to open the stock fitting that surrounds the bushing just a tad so they fit correctly...

Overall...the install was not too difficult. You'll fall in love once it is on and ready to go....
Old 04-13-2005, 06:04 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moser sucks.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I already have the U-bolts for the sway bar. I guess my biggest disappointment is that it's taking so many extra trips to get stuff that should be included. I ordered a new driveshaft, but thanks for the heads up on that part.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

A 9" has a more of a WOW factor in my book. I guess it all depands on who you buy one from but a little more questioning would have gotten you everything for the install. If the vendors were really smart they would come up with a package deal, backing plates, u-joint, and swaybar mount etc...
Old 04-13-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

The fitting in the axle tube is for the overflow vent. You talking about halfway down the driver's side tube? There should be a brass fitting that screws into it. Be sure to put TWO containers of GM (ONLY!!!!) limited slip additive in there if you have the Eaton LSD.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tech
The fitting in the axle tube is for the overflow vent. You talking about halfway down the driver's side tube? There should be a brass fitting that screws into it. Be sure to put TWO containers of GM (ONLY!!!!) limited slip additive in there if you have the Eaton LSD.
I had no problems with my Moser install fit just like a factory 10 bolt and looks pretty as can be. The only thing I did not like is there was no nuts for the T bolts? My rear has no leaks and is as quite as a church mouse. No whine at all and feels great with the 342 gears and I don't have to worry about breaking at the track. I put mine together before it went in the car and filled the fluid from the top where the ABS sensor goes in. I am very happy with my new Moser.

Last edited by 02 Pewter LS1; 04-14-2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me if I need to do anything with the two bolts in the rear cover? I know they are for more strength, but do I need to tighten them or anything??

Originally Posted by 02 Pewter LS1
I had no problems with my Moser install fit just like a factory 10 bolt and looks pretty as can be. The only thing I did not like is there was no nuts for the T bolts? My rear has no leaks and is as quite as a church mouse. No whine at all and feels great with the 342 gears and I don't have to worry about breaking at the track. I put mine together before it went in the car and filled the fluid from the top where the ABS sensor goes in. I am very happy with my new Moser.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to make sure they are snug not super tight that is what the cover is for the extra strength. It comes with instructions about the cover bring the bolts in until they touch they make sure you get them snug. Does that make sence in what I just said. It is extra support for the main caps.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See, that's one of the things that bothers me about this "package". I didn't get any instructions for that. THe only instructions I got were for the pressing of the wheel bearings on the axles, and the break in procedure.

Thanks for the help though, I'll make sure they're snug.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine came with everything and the install was easy and straightforward. My only complaint was the way Moser set up my gears, but after redoing them everything is good now.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a question for everyone, do I need to take the "cogs" off of the stock axles? These are the parts that make the ABS work, there is a sensor that reads these "cogs". It would make sense that I would have to put them on the new axles, but the directions from Moser say nothing about it. And, of course, it didn't dawn on me until after the new axles were installed.

Also, has anyone had a problem mounting the e-brake bracket? It doesn't look like mine are going to fit without some minor fabricating.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-16-2005, 11:34 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Sounds like you have a three chanel abs when you need a 4 chanel maybe. Do you have traction control? And the two support bolts in the cover get tightened down to 22 Inch pounds if you want to get technical. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the sensors are on the caliper brackets, not on top of the rear end housing. So, I think that means I have the correct 4 channel setup. ANd, there is no spot on the housing for a sensor. The car has TCS and ABS.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Launching!

If you didn't buy the axles with the abs rings on them you'll have to take them off your stock axles and have them put on your new axles.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:47 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I think jswhite if correct. Good luck with the little problems they always suck.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I definitely ordered the rear with ABS & TCS...now is that what I received??I don't know. I guess I'll put this thing together and see if the ABS acts up.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 04-17-2005, 06:22 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well if it doesn't have the reluctor whells on both of the axles it will keep the abs light on etc... No biggie just the abs wont work for now.
Jeff
Old 04-17-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahhh, reluctor wheels....I was wondering what those things were called. Anyway, I am a bit concernced with that. Now I'm gonna have to pull the axles again to get this fixed. I do like how the axles go in and come out though!! No stupid C-clips to worry about.
I only had a few minutes to mess with the car today, but the install is almost done. It really isn't that difficult, but little helpful hints from Moser would help.

Anyway, I can't wait to get this thing done and out to the track.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Love my moser but Moser Gear setup sucks, mine whines like a dying animal!!!!!