Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Auburn Limited Slip - What Lube To Use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005 | 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Auburn Limited Slip - Auburn Says No Synthetics

Received this email from Auburn about their recommended lube. It's time for me to change lube and the recommendations from fellow posters was varied.

Also, I'd like to mention differing recommendations in owner's manuals. I recently purchased a new copy since my car did not have one when I bought it (98 Z28). That copy recommended synthetic lube. I saw a post with a link to a .PDF version of the owner's manual and it did not recommend synthetic. So I emailed Auburn and got this reply...

"Good morning,

We do not suggest synthetic oils in our units for the very reason of the noise that you are getting in the rearend. Our recommendation is to use an OE 80/90 wt. oil with and OE additive.

Put in approximately 3 ozs. of additive for every quart of oil. Avoid synthetic oils and K & W brand of additives.

Let us know if we can further assist you. Have a great week!"

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 05-10-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2005 | 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

I use GM Limited Slip Additive, and a non-synthetic gear oil. Last time I bought Castrol because it was the only non-synthetic that Autozone had.
Old 05-10-2005 | 11:48 AM
Banned

The Ford stuff works the best for chatter..
Old 05-10-2005 | 02:46 PM
14 Second Truck Club

For an Auburn I owuld use the GM lube since it is designed for use with them. I reccomend the Ford stuff for clutch style usually and the GM for the cone design units.

Quick Reply: Auburn Limited Slip - What Lube To Use?