Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ABS INOP and TCS OFF

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS INOP and TCS OFF

Ok, so I get my car back from the rear end shop where they put in new gears to replace my poorly setup Strange 12 bolt gears. I drove home no problems. Next day I get in the car and the ABS INOP and TCS OFF lights are on. Drive most of the day with them on for the most part. They go off occassionally.

Next day I removed the speed sensor from the rear end and clean all the metal shavings off. Get in car, both lights are on but after driving about 30 seconds, they go off. I think "great!" Well about 5 minutes into the drive, they light up again.

Today, every time I start the car, they are on, turn off after 30 seconds or so and come back on after 5 minutes or so.

Diagnosis anyone? Both speed sensors are securely plugged in and clean. I haven't checked if the wires to the sensors have melted or snagged or anything, but anyone else have some suggestions?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:20 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it OK before the gear swap?

Sometimes the sensors need to be spaced out a little, the wheel studs interfere with the reluctor and it freaks the ABS module out. Maybe they were spaced before and they took the washers out. Usually a couple washers to space the sensors a little toward he inside will fix it. Could have also damaged one of the sensors also..
Old 08-02-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kp
Was it OK before the gear swap?

Sometimes the sensors need to be spaced out a little, the wheel studs interfere with the reluctor and it freaks the ABS module out. Maybe they were spaced before and they took the washers out. Usually a couple washers to space the sensors a little toward he inside will fix it. Could have also damaged one of the sensors also..
Yeah, I'm going to take the wheels off tonight and see how the sensors are interacting with the reluctor rings. Everything was fine before the new gears. I installed the rear end initially and installed the sensors myself and everything was fine. They did have to press new axle bearing onto the axles because they broke one while working on it. They may have damaged the reluctor rings or not pressed them on to the right location.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:35 AM
kp
8 Second Club

They shouldnt have to take the rings off but they did they may have not pushed one on enough or one may be running out a bunch.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kp
They shouldnt have to take the rings off but they did they may have not pushed one on enough or one may be running out a bunch.
Took the caliper and rotor off tonight. Couldn't get a really good pic, but the stick coming out of the magnet on the speed sensor passes over a good 5/8 of the reluctor ring. I don't know if it needs to go across the whole ring to get a good reading, but it looks like the reluctor ring is pressed all the way to the end of the axle. It could be a little too far but I don't know.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:25 AM
kp
8 Second Club

The screw in wheel studs are screwing you up, the sensors are pretty strong magnets and they will pick up the wheel stud hex head and it will disable the ABS as soon as it things there a problem with the wheel/sesnsor. You probably just got lucky before or something changed a tiny bit with the new bearing. Just space the sensors back 1/8" or so with a couple washers under the bracket and I bet the light goes away.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kp
The screw in wheel studs are screwing you up, the sensors are pretty strong magnets and they will pick up the wheel stud hex head and it will disable the ABS as soon as it things there a problem with the wheel/sesnsor. You probably just got lucky before or something changed a tiny bit with the new bearing. Just space the sensors back 1/8" or so with a couple washers under the bracket and I bet the light goes away.
I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks man.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was having the same problem. I think it's the wheel studs messing mine up too, but I can't be sure cause the car is back up on jackstands again.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, so I tried spacing the sensor back some, but couldn't do it very well. I ended up using some washers like sims around the sides of the sensor because I don't have a washer that fits the sensor and don't hit other stuff on the backing plate. Any suggestions on what to use for a washer? My shimmed setup didn't help, still threw the lights.

I have a pretty good feeling that the backing plate and reluctor ring are too close to the axle hat. I noticed while putting everything back together yesterday, when the caliper was on the rotor, it was spaced a little bit back from the backing plate. That would suggest that the backing plate is too close to the axle hat. I'll take some measurements tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Any luck with your situation? We are having a very similar problem and my reluctor/sensor looks pretty much like yours. I cleaned both the magnet and ring on mine yesterday hoping that might help but got the lights this morning on the hwy...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

I can't figure it out. I'm thinking my backing plates are pressed too close to the end of the axle and well as the rings not being tight enough to the plate. I need to bring it back to the shop to have them reset the plates but haven't had time yet.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is working fine with a spacer I made out of a oil drain plug washer, so it didn't take much shim for me. I cut the aluminum washer and spread it into a half moon and put it around the sensor.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
Mine is working fine with a spacer I made out of a oil drain plug washer, so it didn't take much shim for me. I cut the aluminum washer and spread it into a half moon and put it around the sensor.
Hmm, where can I get said washer?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Speedy, how much of the reluctor does your sensor magnet cover after the shim?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

I just installed a Billingsley 9" last Saturday, and I got a Low Trac, ASR Off, and then an ABS Inop light. I read on other post about spacing the ABS Sensors out. Today I did the .78 cent Lowes mod. Was looking for washers with a 1" I.D., ( sensor is approx 15/16" O.D.) at Home Depot. Biggest I saw was 3/4" with a very big O.D. Went to Lowes, (hardware section) and found these funny little chrome steel rings, that look like the end rings on a security/dog collar chain. They had different I.D.'s including 1". The O.D. was very small too, and they're about 3/16" thick. Put them between the backing plate and sensor, no more lights, and brakes don't pulse anymore!!!!!! I do get a Low Trac light........ at 120mph at 6,000 rpm in 3rd gear. Maybe I'm starting to take off . You need to space the sensors.