Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

2.73 to 3.73 = new carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.73 to 3.73 = new carrier?

I just talked to a rear-end "specialty" shop near LA that said I couldnt use a 3 series carrier to swap the 2.73 out to the 3.73. He said I would need a 2 series to do it.

While this may be the optimal way of doing this swap a new carrier costs a butt load. Would a ring spacer (found one from Mr. gasket) be enough including whatever shims I need, or will I run into problems down the road?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ring spacers are problems.

If you wanna keep your 2-series carrier, get a "thick" gear set, you'll be much better off than using a spacer.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Ring spacers are problems.

If you wanna keep your 2-series carrier, get a "thick" gear set, you'll be much better off than using a spacer.
Therein lies the problem. I ordered a gear set from Texas Speed this week only to find out after they sent it out that it wont work with the 2.73. I was not aware of this, nor did TSP ask or inform me of this. I called them up today to try and stop the order but they said it was allready in the mail.

This would not be a big problem, however, TSP said they would charge me a 20% restocking fee to take the gear set back. Is it just me or does this suck? Paying for shipping then having to pay them to take back a part they sold me? At the very least they could ask you what kind of stock gears you are running before you order, or they could even put a disclaimer on their 3.42+ gear sets stating that they will not work for anything numerically lower.

Dont get me wrong I have dealt with TSP many times before and they have been great, but this time I feel really reamed. I dont have much money as it is and now I have to come out of pocket for some more BS.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Regular

I went to Summit got a CarCare One credit card and got the thick gears for $215 shipped when I went from 2.73-3.73s no whine at all really, still have the same 2-series carrier. My rearend guy said to upgrade the carrier but at the very least stay away from the spacer. He said the gears went it fine.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey what is the price you are wanting out of the "3 series carrier" 373 gears? I am wanting to buy some. Who made the gear set? Sorry to hear TSP is doing that to you.

Jeff
Old 09-21-2005, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Unfortunately it's not the vendor's responsibility to make sure you are buying the right part. You order, they ship.

When I made that same mistake I jsut sold the gears to someone who could use them for what I paid for them.

If you explained the situation to them, and ordered a thick gear set from them that will work with your series 2 carrier they might work with you on the restocking fee.

It's worth a shot to ask.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snapps
Hey what is the price you are wanting out of the "3 series carrier" 373 gears? I am wanting to buy some. Who made the gear set? Sorry to hear TSP is doing that to you.

Jeff
I can charge you what i paid for the gear set plus the install kit minus shipping if you want. They havent even arrived at my door yet. I can send them to you unrapped even. LEt me get them first then we can tak via PM if you are still interested.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ouija
Unfortunately it's not the vendor's responsibility to make sure you are buying the right part. You order, they ship.

When I made that same mistake I jsut sold the gears to someone who could use them for what I paid for them.

If you explained the situation to them, and ordered a thick gear set from them that will work with your series 2 carrier they might work with you on the restocking fee.

It's worth a shot to ask.

I understand fully that it is not their responsibility. However, it would be better for the average consumer (who most likely does not have the same amount of vast knowlege as the vendor) for them to state somewhere in the ordering process that certain gears only work with certain carriers.

When I read "3.73 gear set for GM 10 bolt rear" that might lead one to believe that they mean all GM 10 bolt rears. Right?

It may be too late for me. I digress. However, if I can help someone in the future by having TSP adress this issue then it will save many people money, time, and energy in the future I will then at least feel better about getting hosed myself.

Addressing this issue will also allow TSP to earn the credit that they deserve as a leading provider for the LS1 community by clearing up this minor issuse with ordering and website content. Better business practice makes happier customers and thus more money for the business. Thank You.

That will be all.