Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HD Eaton vs. Zexell-Torson

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ's99SS
So...is purchasing a TA cover and stud girdle really just to help prolong the life of the ring gear and pinion rather than truly strengthen the rear end housing?

What about with a 12 bolt? Does it also need better quality material in the caps and is a TA cover/stud girdle just a waste of $$$ ?
To put it simply, 12 bolt parts are bigger..... larger pinion shaft (the most important and noteable strength increase) larger bearings (which increases load controlling factors) and everything else falls right in suit to complete it.

The only time I recommend replacing the (driverside) main cap to my clients is when it is going to be used in a heavy shockload environment.... such as drag racing. Other than that, I might steer them into a set of Mark Williams 33 spline axles with a 33 spline Eaton and drop a 1350 billet yolk onto the differential. But mind you, that this is with a chassis that is making some serious power and having the ability to plant it.

A simple street chassis really doesnt require such parts unless you are just really, really hard on the launch or just like to beat up your car.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chicane...thanks for the info. I do have a decent powered SS. (see sig) Several years ago when I swapped to the 12 bolt I did go with the good axles, HDEaton posi unit and billet 1350. But I was just curious if spending the extra money on a 12 bolt TA cover and stud girdle was really something I needed to do to help prolong the new ring gear and pinion I just replaced...

Here lately the car is just seeing some street action with occasional track time with 315 BFG Drag radials. No slicks anylonger. The car does hook fairly well. Broke the input shaft in the T-56 grabbin' 2nd gear racing a bike a couple of months ago. Being a M6 I wasn't sure if it would help strengthin' the rear any more that what I've already done...BTW your right...I also don't like to "beat" up my car but do drive it how I built it when need be...I hate to loose!
Old 11-12-2005, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

""That depends on what torsen. The torsen T2R is the strongest diff you can put in a 10 bolt.""
How does the T2R stack up against the Detroit Locker ?
Old 11-12-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chicane

AN Eaton, hands down is the strongest differential you can put into a 7.5".
Agreed.

You should see the 9.5" unit (14 bolt-Trailblazer SS)
Old 11-12-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
How does the T2R stack up against the Detroit Locker ?
Man... that depends. Detroits are, for the most part, stronger than anything else when you put them in any differential. The available Detroit for the 12 bolt isnt the same design as "The Detroit Locker" most commonly found in all of the other differential cases. The 'true trac's and 'soft locker's are not of the same design, but are still considerable unit's when it comes down to looking into primary strength concerns.

Its just that some dont like the driving characteristics on the street and dont know/understand how to properly 'load them' before they go into the waterbox at the strip..... so it has a learning curve to it.... but it sure is a durable unit, that is for sure.

The T2R is an excellent choice, if its use wasnt cornered around drag strip use. All of the gear type units have more moving parts, which in the end, have many mechanical tolerances that stack up. When you put that in a 'shock loading' environment, like drag racing... it tends to beat them up pretty good. Im not saying that it wont take some good abuse, but its a question of when its going to fail.... no a question of if its going to fail.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

I am very upset with my HD Eaton. I made a good 40 runs with 4.10's and stock torsion with 80k on it. Finally broke it at the track but still got me home (a hour away). Put that diff in has about 1k miles on it with 3 passes broke it at the line. Two of the gears inside of it split in half. Will not buy anouther one. Of coarse i have also gone through 3 r&p's haha. 9" with locker next step for me. No one should ever put money towards a 10 bolt they always loose in the end.

Last edited by flexybronc; 11-16-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chicane
Man... that depends. Detroits are, for the most part, stronger than anything else when you put them in any differential. The available Detroit for the 12 bolt isnt the same design as "The Detroit Locker" most commonly found in all of the other differential cases. The 'true trac's and 'soft locker's are not of the same design, but are still considerable unit's when it comes down to looking into primary strength concerns.

Its just that some dont like the driving characteristics on the street and dont know/understand how to properly 'load them' before they go into the waterbox at the strip..... so it has a learning curve to it.... but it sure is a durable unit, that is for sure.

The T2R is an excellent choice, if its use wasnt cornered around drag strip use. All of the gear type units have more moving parts, which in the end, have many mechanical tolerances that stack up. When you put that in a 'shock loading' environment, like drag racing... it tends to beat them up pretty good. Im not saying that it wont take some good abuse, but its a question of when its going to fail.... no a question of if its going to fail.
AGREED. The T2R is probably the highest bias diff you can put in a 10 bolt, but it is not designed to take the "hit" from a good clutch/T56 (especially a built one)/sticky tires&track on a drag type launch. The Eaton may be the strongest limited slip diff for a 10 bolt, but a real, old fashioned Detroit Locker is the strongest differential outright (a spool or welded diff are not differentials). Do they even make a DL for 10 bolts??
Old 11-15-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

flexybronc ... 4.10 gears on a 10-bolt will kill ANY limited slip differential with a manual transmission ... even atyou horsepower rating. You don't have to have too much HP to break it. Spider gears usually go first.

Quick Reply: HD Eaton vs. Zexell-Torson