Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear gear sanity check

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002 | 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Default Rear gear sanity check

Can someone tell me how involved it is to check the gears for normal wear pattern, excessive backlash, posi-unit problems... etc? My 3.73's have been in for about 1 & 1/2 years, and if I can save some money by checking it (or having a trained eye check) myself, I'd rather go that route.

Recently, I've been hearing what sounds like horse hoofs on pavement (some would call it chatter I guess) on the coast side. I used to only hear it at speeds above 45, but since some recent WOT runs, it's noticable even at speeds below 25. I do have a Mac girdle on it, and I'm planning to use heavier fluid at the next change, so this would be a good time to check things over. BTW, the fluid was changed last summer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rich
Old 02-16-2002 | 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Rear gear sanity check

Well its easy to look it over. Just Jack it up pull the cover. Spin the tires and all look at every gear for chips and such... Depending on the posi you have you might be able to see most the spider gears (inside the posi unit. If you have the Zexle it will be harder. But as far as wearing wrong if you've had it that long getting them re-alighned would be a BAD idea. They are worn in where they are. Correscting it would cause uneven wera and do more harm.... Check out the Magnet for anything Stuck to it thats a for shure sighn you have a problem obviously....
EDIT: But Also sounds like a possible bearing. Like a Pinion bearing for Exaple. No way to really check it out...thats the bad part
Good Luck!!

[ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: Tim 98z ]</p>
Old 02-16-2002 | 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Rear gear sanity check

Thanks Tim. I'm going to try to get a friend of mine to put it up on his lift for a looksee. I was also just told that there's a website (Richmond.com?) that shows pics of good and bad patterns and the like.

Rich