Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pro 5.0 Installed with UMI Short Stick

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Pro 5.0 Installed with UMI Short Stick

Installed a pro 5.0 last weekend with UMI's short stick and love it. The install was very easy. I followed the instructions per LS1Howto.com. I used blue loctite on all the parts that required it. I installed the shift stops so that, when it gear, a business card could slide smoothly between the shifter and stop, then loctited and torqued down the stops. when replacing the rubber gasket thingy that bolts onto the floor of the car I only trimmed it slightly. On mine there was basically a half circle hole cut throught the rubber and I just trimmed it to make a complete circle, so it a nice tight fit over everything. The UMI short stick seems to not fit the stock **** exactly. The **** fits on very tight, and when comparing the threads between the UMI stick and the stock stick they dont quite match up. I just said f-' it and muscled the **** down into place and it works fine.
The shifter moves smoothly and easily from 1-4 with a nice "pop" into each gear. When shifting lightly you really dont have to guide the shifter at all as it seems to take a natural path through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. For 5th and 6th you definitley have to guide the shifter to the right the catch those gears. When coasting in nutral like when going down hill, its a little harder to find the right gear again when re-engaging the transmission because the gates are so close together. But Im sure I just need a bit more getting used to.
I have not so far noticed any increased road noise or anything like that. I would recommend the shifter to anyone.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same set up and I love it. Still feel the shifter could have been a little bit shorter but its good enough. I know what you mean with the **** fit. I had to tighten the **** out of mine and you can still slightley see some threads with the stock Hurst but the boot covers it up.

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 Installed with UMI Short Stick