Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

TA Performance stud kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA Performance stud kit

I am not familar with the where the extra stud kit that I purchased goes. Where do they get installed? On the cover where the load bolts go? I looked the instructions in install university but they did not install does? Can someone help me.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

If you are referring to "16-TA-1815 TA Performance Products Main Cap Stud Kit, GM"

There should be 10 of them for the 10 bolt holes on the differential cover witht he two longer ones having two brackets held on against the cover.

You put them on instead of the stock bolts, and it's best used in conjunction with a TA differential Cover.

If you have 12 bolts, I'd assume the kit had two extras in case you were running a 12 bolt.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

i am confused becuase according to the Thunder racing site, if you buy the cover it comes with all necessary hardware and gasket. So if I buy the cover then it comes with the 10 bolts and the gasket but I also got 4 other bolts with no head and 4 nuts. I think this is the stud kit. And I know they go inside somewhere in the rear housing but don;t exactly where. Does any have better instructions for this?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stud kit replaces the carrier bearing cap bolts!I tightened my stud to tight as I can get it with a small rachet and put the washer and nut on and tighten it to 80 ft pounds! I had to use thread sealant on the fill plugs and where the pretension bolts where it would leak slowly around them!The cover comes with some instuctions but there not very good!
Old 11-11-2005, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

I also put my pretension bolts that have the big locking nut on the back of the cover at 80 inch pounds!If that helps!
Old 11-12-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TA TECH
The stud kit replaces the carrier bearing cap bolts!I tightened my stud to tight as I can get it with a small rachet and put the washer and nut on and tighten it to 80 ft pounds! I had to use thread sealant on the fill plugs and where the pretension bolts where it would leak slowly around them!The cover comes with some instuctions but there not very good!
Correct, replaces the 4 bolts that hold the carrier bearing caps.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

The only reason I would be replacing these bolts with studs is because of the TA cover, right? Becuase it has the two bolds in the middle of the cover? Hey, I was wondering, I have to torque the studs but how would i do that if they are studs and if I put the nut in I will have to take it out and the stud will get loose and will have to be retorque it? Am I missing something? I don't want any problems when I stall the TA cover. Thanks in advance

Abe
Old 11-16-2005, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Ya don't really have to use the studs but it helps stengthen it alittle but if ya got'em use em!Usually when you loosen the nut after ya have tourqed it it will loosen the stud alittle!The studs sshould have a small hex head make sure you got a wrech that fitts tight because you can round it out after ya get it pretty tight hand tight! Ya just tourqe the nut the same as you would if it was the bolt!
Old 11-16-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

I should have looked at the stud a little closer. I still have them in the bag. Thanks for the info TA TECH.

Quick Reply: TA Performance stud kit