Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Detroit True Trac in a 12-Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Detroit True Trac in a 12-Bolt?

Is it possible and/or are there any vendors putting these in a Strange 12-bolt?

Also, since a posi is the weak link in a 12-bolt, wouldn't a 12-bolt with a locker be just as strong as a 9" with a locker, not to mention being more efficient and lighter?

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The strange 33 spline teeth are not cut at the same angle as the true trac. This according to a tech at strange. Too bad cause I was ready to throw down the $$ and buy a strange unit.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Ah, thanks Racer. I knew there had to be a good reason, I just didn't know what it was.

Looks like I'm back on the 9" again, but too bad about the True Trac not working with a Strange 12-bolt. I knew it sounded too good to be true (trac).
Old 11-28-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it true that 9" units limit your ride height options?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Good question which I'm not qualified to answer, but I understand that the 9" lifts the rear about an inch. It seems that people are using relocation brackets to offset that.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:46 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moser uses the True-Trac. We have seen excellent results with the True-Tracs in the Moser 12 bolts. Bob
Old 11-29-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Do you offer Moser 12-bolts with true tracs?

Why do people opt for a 9" when they could get a true trac in a 12-bolt? I know there's a lot of preference for Strange because of the TA mounting situation, but is that the only reason?

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was leaning towards a Strange for several reasons: TA mount, paint, cable mount, sway bar mount, less complaints (at least a few months ago), less money.

In fact, I had arranged to drop ship a true-track to strange for them to install into a rear axle for me. However, I got concerned about being the guinea pig and backed out. Good thing too, 'cause it turns out that it wont work.

Ended up ordering a moser from EPP yesterday w/truetrak. I can get over the lack of paint, brake cable mount, and vent tube. But no sway bar mount still seems rather cheap. Hopefully the TA mounts will work out OK.

In the end it was a trade-off.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Good info Racer!

Once you get everything sorted-out and installed I'm sure you'll be happy.

BTW, could you explain about the "vent tube," "brake cable mount" and how you plan to mount the sway bar. This is the first I've heard about a vent tube.

Congrats on pulling the trigger!
Old 11-29-2005, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

I have just about made my mine up on the same set up. I think I am going to order mine to. I think you made a good selection. It is either this set up or a 9in with a Detroit locker. I just don't want a Ford rear on my car, and I want to retain my ABS. I called Moser yesterday and they told me a 12 bolt with the True Track and 33 spline axle would be stronger then a 9in with 31 spline axles. I thought that was very interesting.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by as35thss
I called Moser yesterday and they told me a 12 bolt with the True Track and 33 spline axle would be stronger then a 9in with 31 spline axles.
I cant say I agree with that but I could possibly be wrong. The Posi Cases in a 9 inch alone have shown to be stronger than those in a 12 bolt. They could be refering to axle strength because obviously a 31 spline will be stronger than a 33 spline. I just dont see a 12 bolt being stronger than a 9 Inch all other parts being equal.

CMC
Old 11-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Predator
Good info Racer!

Once you get everything sorted-out and installed I'm sure you'll be happy.

BTW, could you explain about the "vent tube," "brake cable mount" and how you plan to mount the sway bar. This is the first I've heard about a vent tube.

Congrats on pulling the trigger!
Mosers housings have a vent tube on the Driver side axle tube that sometimes tend to spray a little fluid on the underside of the car. I dont beleive strange has this. Strange also has attachment points on their housings for break lines and cables while Moser does not. The strange axle tubes are stock diameter so you can use your existing Sway Bar mounting hardware while Moser's axle tubes are the same as a 9 Inch's axle tubes so you need to purchase 2 3 inch muffler clamps to mount the sway bar. All minimal things that I feel can be fixed with a little bit of creativity and some simple materials such as zip ties and such.

CMC
Old 11-29-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome CMC! Just what I was looking for. Thanks a million!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

i have a moser 12 with detroit true trac and 33 spline and couldnt be happier
Old 11-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Banned

Some people are very happy with their 12 bolts while others absolutely hate them. Its a roll of the dice I suppose, but I cant really recall anyone not being happy with their 9 Inch let alone breaking one. I prefer the 9 inch because if its strength, versatility, and simplicity. But everyone has their own preferences. I am glad that you are one of the lucky ones.

CMC
Old 11-29-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

I have one in my stock 10 bolt..no problems...
Old 11-29-2005, 01:32 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Do you offer Moser 12-bolts with true tracs?

Why do people opt for a 9" when they could get a true trac in a 12-bolt? I know there's a lot of preference for Strange because of the TA mounting situation, but is that the only reason?

Thanks.
Yes, the Moser 12 bolt can be ordered with the True-Trac, in fact it has become standard with a Moser, instead of an Eaton.

A 9" Moser would still be stronger than a 12 bolt, it is just a heavier duty unit, but they are heavier and use up more horsepower. For all but the hardest hitting cars, a 12 bolt will suffice. Bob
Old 11-29-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info Bob!

This looks like a valid option for someone who doesn't want a traditional posi, and doesn't fit into the "hardest hitting cars" category (which I certainly don't).

Can you use a BMR or Spohn sway bar mounting kit instead of muffler clamps?

Thanks to zip ties, the brake lines don't seem to be a problem, but I'm still worried about the TA mounting situation. Is that situation overblown or a valid reason for being hesitant about the Moser 12-bolt?

Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question on the TA mount. Which is better at handling aftermarket TQ arms?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:45 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thanks for the info Bob!

This looks like a valid option for someone who doesn't want a traditional posi, and doesn't fit into the "hardest hitting cars" category (which I certainly don't).

Can you use a BMR or Spohn sway bar mounting kit instead of muffler clamps?

Thanks to zip ties, the brake lines don't seem to be a problem, but I'm still worried about the TA mounting situation. Is that situation overblown or a valid reason for being hesitant about the Moser 12-bolt?

Thanks again.
Yes you can indeed you the sway bar mounting kits that are designed for the three inch axle housing, thats not a problem.

We install a lot of the BMR trac paks and the Spohn 405 torque arms on Moser 12 bolts. We use loc tite and do not have a problem with the bolts. Bob

Quick Reply: Detroit True Trac in a 12-Bolt?