Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" With True Trac Or Moser 12-Bolt With True Trac?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NumberOneSled
I was at the PRI show in Orlando this weekend and when I talked to one of the guys at the Moser booth he told me you couldn't put the True-trac in a 9". He seemed like a pretty knowledgeable guy, is this true?
Also, if you go to the Driveline-Solutions website, they have True Trac listed as an option for their 9 inch.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Predator
BADSS, I did say the true trac was a "clutchless limited slip" as in gear driven, but this is not important. The other stuff you said was more important, and I appreciate the help!

Thanks Jim, I took notes, but I still want want 4.10s in place of the 3.73s. I have an M6.

I appreciate the great help. I think I'm all set. Thanks fellas!

You sure did! LOL! I missed that post, I apologize. However, the True Trac is not a "soft locker"- which is definitely not the same thing as a posi/limited slip differential. Posi and limited slip are two terms that mean the same thing.

I see a lot of confusion about differentials- and when you said you did not want a posi, I assumed you were thinking the true trac was a locker.

What did you end up deciding to do, Predator?

To everyone else- I know that a 9 inch is heavier, sucks up more HP, has a less than ideal pinion angle, and requires "clearancing" to install in an F-body. But they are widely considered bulletproof- and if you do a search, there are a lot of unhappy 12 bolt owners out there- some who end up buying a 9 inch down the road, and even some who go back to the stock 10 bolt rear (Gomer did, for one).

Besides the reasons I listed, what would be the other downsides to a Ford 9 inch- say with a posi- for street driving?
Old 12-03-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

BADSS, I stand corrected on the "soft locker" comment then. I thought a soft locker was a gear-driven limited slip. In fact, now I don't know what a soft locker is. I do know what a locker is.

Well, I'm going with Jim's recommendation (on the previous page) with the exception of 4.10s instead of 3.73s. I'm pretty sure a Billingsley Strange 12-bolt, completely assembled.

I appreciated your input. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend against the Eaton, but thats just because of my personal experience. When I first had it in, it would roast both tires nicely. 3000 miles of somewhat hard street driving on drag radials and I'm doing one wheel burnouts when I get on it now.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the head's up Jim.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

I decided to go with the Billingsley 9''. Ordered it a few weeks ago. I am looking to do it right the first time.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Predator
BADSS, I stand corrected on the "soft locker" comment then. I thought a soft locker was a gear-driven limited slip. In fact, now I don't know what a soft locker is. I do know what a locker is.

Well, I'm going with Jim's recommendation (on the previous page) with the exception of 4.10s instead of 3.73s. I'm pretty sure a Billingsley Strange 12-bolt, completely assembled.

I appreciated your input. Thanks!

Good luck with your 12 bolt. Billingsley is good people- they will help you out if you have any problems with it.

I think a soft locker is the same as a regular locking differential except for the fact that it should lock and unlock more smoothly and make less noise.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lsevenl
I decided to go with the Billingsley 9''. Ordered it a few weeks ago. I am looking to do it right the first time.
What kind of options did you go with?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lsevenl
I am looking to do it right the first time.
Same here. Im in the process of doing a tranny and rearend swap. The car is not my daily driver and it pretty much only gets drove on the weekends. I am going with a 9" simply because i can change center sections in a few hours from street gears to all out race gears when i go to the track. Im going with either a locker or spool with 3.90s....also going to do some more suspensoin work while everything is apart.

Im sick of the 4l60e's. Im on my third one in less than two years. Fixing the problem with th400 w/transbrake,3500-4000 stall, trans cooler w/elec fan
Old 12-04-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BADSS
Good luck with your 12 bolt. Billingsley is good people- they will help you out if you have any problems with it.

I think a soft locker is the same as a regular locking differential except for the fact that it should lock and unlock more smoothly and make less noise.
Thanks BADSS! But now it looks a Moser 12-bolt with a True Trac. If I could get a gear-driven posi in a Strange, I would prefer that. I just never wanted a traditional posi.

Also thanks for the explanation of a soft locker, and I see that it's an entirely different animal than the True Trac, it's a type of locker.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Jimmyz
Is the True-Trac more $$$? The Eaton is more than enough if it is. BTW, thats the setup I have, Eaton posi 33 spline 800 lb springs.

Jim
The True Trac is actually about the same price. The 33 spline axle option for the True Trac is only $65.00, instead of $100.00 like it is for the Eaton Posi. Bob

Quick Reply: 9" With True Trac Or Moser 12-Bolt With True Trac?