Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Should I use a shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 05:11 PM
REC
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I use a shift kit?

I just purchased a Vig3200. I also got a B&M transcooler and a TransGo shift kit. Should I install the shift kit or not? Are ther any pros or cons to them? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Should I use a shift kit?

What year is your car? The reason I ask is because torque mgt. is worse on the '01's and '02's than on the previous years. I'm running The Vig 3200 w/ the TransGo shift kit, and I LOVE it. The only problem I had was with torque mgt. It was really bad w/ the stock converter and no shift kit, but it got worse after the converter install. The shift kit certainly didn't help out either. The shift kit was a must on my car because the stock shifts were incredibly slow and lazy. It was to the point that I was very annoyed just driving the car around town. Once the shift kit was installed w/ two shims (the middle setting), the different was night and day! It made the car a lot more enjoyable to drive around. Now that my torque mgt. has been deleted (thanks to Ed Wright's tuning), the shifts are awesome. At WOT, the shifts are quick and the car continues to charge hard. With tq. mgt., the car would fall on its face on the shifts with a huge hesitation. If your car is a '98-'00, you shouldn't have tq. mgt. problems quite as bad, but it will still be there. I also want to mention that you need to be sure to get a competent shop that you trust to install the shift kit. There seem to be a lot of shops that will only install parts of the kit because they're just too lazy to bother with the full kit (or they can't follow the detailed instructions). If the kit isn't installed correctly, it could possibly do some damage to the transmission.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:52 AM
REC
Teching In

Thanks for the reply TrevorD. My car is a 01SS. I have not noticed the torque mgt prblem with my car but then again I really don't know what it feels like. I do have a HPP3 that I used to raise my shift points with, could that have helped to ease the tq mgt problem with my car? I just ran it yesterday and the shifts felt pretty good and it ran the best times so far 12.81@108 1.93 60ft. on Goodyears ,so I can't wait to see what the Vig will do for me.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

My torque management is aweful. From a stop or very slow, if I floor it, I hit a dead spot where my rpms just sit there for a second and then fly up and whack the rev limiter a few times, and then it shifts. This has to be caused by torque management since I only have a few mods. I will have it deleted soon with my converter install.