Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HELP ASAP PLEASE!! removing trans lines E clips

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ASAP PLEASE!! removing trans lines E clips

OMG, maybe I shouldn't have tried this converter install myself! I am trying to get the trans cooler lines of of the trans

I have the black boots slid back and am TRYING to remove the damn e clips but they just spin and WON'T come off. I am using a flat head screwdriver.

MY DAMN trans isn't coming very far down even with everything removed except the bell housing bolts?????????? only came down about 2". even if I yank down with about 240lbs of *** is still won't come down farther......

GRRRRRRR
Old 03-18-2002, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: HELP ASAP PLEASE!! removing trans lines E clips

Since I just did this two weekends ago. Your transmission should go down more than 2". Make sure the electrical harnesss is disconnected and the shift cable also. Ensure that the maf and maf hoses is off the car, the engine has to rotate or the transmision wont rotate. Loosen the connection for the lines on the altenator and also on the radiator. I used a flat screwdriver from the top of the e-clip pressed down and then pried the clips out, dont reuse them. I actually snapped one in half getting it out. Also one you get all the case bolts out, it will be a mother to get the transmission of the alignment pins. I had wedge a screw driver in between the engine and transmission and slowly wedge it off. Of course I only weight 140 lbs so you might have better luck on that part. Installation is actually easier. Hope that helps.

Gary
Old 03-18-2002, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

do gm dealers stock the e clips? part #?

just got all three converter bolts out.

still wondering y the trans won't go lower, I am going to remove my maf the shifter linkage and all trans wiring plugs are off.

these damn e clips are still not coming off....
Old 03-19-2002, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have swapped converters four times now and the last time I cut the lines with a tubing cutter and added compression fittings to make it a lot easier for the next time. I also installed a drain plug on the tranny pan to make it a cleaner job.

topfig

MGySgt USMC

<small>[ March 19, 2002, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: topfig1 ]</small>
Old 03-19-2002, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You wont be able to get the e-clips out until the transmission tilts more. Mine probably rotated 5-7" downward. You did remove the torque converter bolts then the cross member, then the transmission bolts? The maf has to be off or it wont rotate. I have not picked up the e-clips but GM should stock them. I noticed some years maybe 98s dont use the e-clips. It will be probably 4 months till I get my car back on the road so I was not in a big hurry on the e-clips. Hope that helps.

Gary
Old 03-19-2002, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

either cut the lines and do compression fittings or just unscrew the fittings from the case
Old 03-20-2002, 07:15 AM
Teching In

I followed this web site to the letter and everthing went as planned, well minus the converter bolt stripping on removal. To split the engine and trany I removed the cover on the oposite side of the starter and used a tire iron to pry it apart, had to put some a$$ into it to split it. I just used a small jewlers screw driver to pop the "e" clips out. Good luck, remeber about murphy's law.
http://modernmusclecars.net/articles...all/index.html

<small>[ March 20, 2002, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: MightyLS1 ]</small>
Old 03-20-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure you have all the bolts out.... make sure you unhook the pan hard bar it a clam shell setup on the back of the tranny and like stated above sometimes when they have been on there since they rolle doff the production line they are a little stiff and need a BFCB ( Big F**king crow bar)
Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

good luck with that tranny torque arm mount, Its the WORST bolt on the f-body
Old 03-20-2008, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get that screw driver you have a grind it down to a point... Then just use the tip the get the clip out. Just dont fling it too hard as youll never find it.

Do you have a STB? If you do you need to take it off as your intake is prolly hitting it and not allowing your motor to tilt.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

you may find this link, I find it very helpfull
http://modernmusclecars.net/articles...all/index.html

good luck,Johnny