Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Corvette transaxle on an F-Body??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Corvette transaxle on an F-Body??

Like the topic says. would it be possible to do this type of assembly with the proper body modifications and what not?
Old 02-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Launching!

i think you might mean a driveshaft?
transaxels are for fwd if im not mistaken

it should work if both are for the ls1/ls6 motor and use the same yokes and connections.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Independant rear suspension is what he means, and yes i see no reason why not, it actually doesnt seem like it would be incredibly difficult
Old 02-12-2006, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by drdarkman
Like the topic says. would it be possible to do this type of assembly with the proper body modifications and what not?
Anything is possible with enough modification. One guy has done it on his 3rd gen.

Here are some threads for you to think about:
-corvette suspension on f-body
-Independent Rear Suspension
Old 02-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

if u look on google and search for "corvette transaxle photos" the very first thing u can click on is google images. there it has the corvette transaxle assembly photos. these were first used on the 97+ vette's. basically the tranny and driveshaft are in the opposite places. the driveshaft comes off the engine, and is connected to the tranny. which is immediately connected to the corvette rear housing assembly. i want that for when i get my trans am. but of course with the proper body mods.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

if u look on google and search for "corvette transaxle photos" the very first thing u can click on is google images. there it has the corvette transaxle assembly photos. these were first used on the 97+ vette's. basically the tranny and driveshaft are in the opposite places. the driveshaft comes off the engine, and is connected to the tranny. which is immediately connected to the corvette rear housing assembly. i want that for when i get my trans am. but of course with the proper body mods.
you would just neet to make sure there was enough room in the back, you may have to modify the backseat area, but itsa a great idea, it would balance the weight very well
Old 02-12-2006, 05:34 PM
FormerVendor

like this
Old 02-12-2006, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Nice, is that a project car of yours? Looks to me like a good excuse for a full cage to hold the car together.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:43 PM
FormerVendor

It will have a cage and we are making a kit to do this install
we have a Rear mounted Th400, 4l80-e, 4l60-e 5l50-e and 6l60-e kits in the works as well as 6speed
this is a old photo and the car has much more done at this time
We plan on going to the Power tour with it
Old 02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Yank
like this
EXACTLY LIKE THAT!! As long as it's an f-body with a manual also. gotta be a manual. so much more fun. for the interior work. basically it would be just like that of a vette but in a f-body. what all did u need to do in order to accomplish that
Old 02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Yank
like this
EXACTLY LIKE THAT!! As long as it's an f-body with a manual also. gotta be a manual. so much more fun. for the interior work. basically it would be just like that of a vette but in a f-body. what all did u need to do in order to accomplish that?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Can't wait to do that to my car. The backseats are ugly and pointless anyways.

Good excuse to buy more stuff for my car.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Now, I just have to think of a mod to get rid of my passenger seat so people stop asking for rides!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why on earth would you want to stop takin people for rides........nothing liek showing ricers what a real car is
Old 02-13-2006, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Now, I just have to think of a mod to get rid of my passenger seat so people stop asking for rides!
put an intercooler there
Old 02-13-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bww3588
why on earth would you want to stop takin people for rides........nothing liek showing ricers what a real car is

they dont neeb to be in the car to show them that
Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by catfSSh
i think you might mean a driveshaft?
transaxels are for fwd if im not mistaken
I think transaxle is a generic term meaning a transversly mounted axle and is not specific to fwd or rwd or even to cars.

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Independant rear suspension is what he means, and yes i see no reason why not, it actually doesnt seem like it would be incredibly difficult
Difficult, companies spend millions of $$$ developing suspension and IRS. Ford reckoned that by sticking with a live rear on the s197 Mustang it saved over $40,000,000 dollars of development work.

At the end of the day YES anything is possible with time and money.

But the question to ask is why?

For drag racing the live rear is ideal. And it can also be made to behave very well on the race track. The biggest thing it lacks is refinment.

But the cost of funding such a setup you'd be better off just buying a car with an IRS setup. Especially as the Corvette setup is not the best in the world (it's good, but not the ulitmate). Plus it's designed for a car with a smaller wheel base and much lower curb weight.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Transaxle refers to anything where the transmission and differential are in the same housing. So yeah, lots of FWDs and AWDs have them for obvious reasons, and so do Vettes. Its amazing how many people think the Vette is nose heavy and have no clue about the fact that it has a rear mounted tranny. Thats a feature many more expensive cars lack.

I would think however that using the IRS from a Mustang Cobra might be a bit easier, since you can then keep your tranny in the stock location and not need a torque tube. But then you loose the weight advanatge.

Very cool.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Difficult, companies spend millions of $$$ developing suspension and IRS. Ford reckoned that by sticking with a live rear on the s197 Mustang it saved over $40,000,000 dollars of development work.

i understand that, but i didnt mean fabricating one, i was talking about transfering one from a similar sized car (cobra) to a camaro
Old 02-13-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably the best IRS I know of is the Jaguar setup from the XJ40 and XJS platform. This is a very well proven setup. And is more than capable.

It has been used on many many cars such as hot rods and AC Cobra replica's. But as with most IRS setups it will weigh more than a live rear setup.

Persoanlly, unless you are mega rich or have a very specific need/want I can't see any IRS conversion being cost affective, or even out performing the live rear in anything but ride comfort, but that's probably only marginal.

Quick Reply: Corvette transaxle on an F-Body??