Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: Would you get a spool for the street?
Hell, I'd daily drive a full spool!!
53.76%
It'll be ok for a weekend warrior.
26.88%
Keep that shit on the race track where it belongs!!
19.35%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Full Spool in a weekend warrior??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I've been there a few times, but ususally we go to SAR. Midnight madness at SAR is pretty awesome. I'd like to go back to edinburg one day soon, that track seems to hook better, but I've heard the tech guys can be a problem some times.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Yeah, I've been there a few times, but ususally we go to SAR. Midnight madness at SAR is pretty awesome. I'd like to go back to edinburg one day soon, that track seems to hook better, but I've heard the tech guys can be a problem some times.
Yeah, San antonio's pretty fun not to mention some of the cars they have there are better in all. As far as the techs, never heard that before .
Old 03-27-2006, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
I just put my 9inch in my 01 ws6 six with a detroit locker and hated it, i had it swaped for a spool only because it was the only on piece that would work with 35 splince axles,i must say it is not that bad. I lowered the pressure in my rear tires to 22 psi to allow for some folding of the tires and it helped alot. Dont notice it at all on on or off ramps or even regular turns. My cars sees only downtown Chicago driving. Pulling into a parking spot on a really cold day with the tires rock hard it pretty noticable but your only doing that for a few seconds. Its supposed to be unbreakable and for that trade off i think its worth it.

thanx!!

cant wait to try mine
Old 03-29-2006, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

For what you use your car for, you can get by with a spool and it will be the best to get all that power evenly to the rear wheels.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Default Excellent!

This thread is exactly what I was looking for. I'm contemplating picking up a 9" right now with a full spool , 31 spline, and 3:70 gears.
I've read up on spools vs. lockers over the past couple months, and alot of people say they're not bad for a weekend street car with occassional track time, and other people say they suck for the road.

Is there anyone in the Chicago burb area with a spooled 9" that would take me for a quick spin? LOL!

Excellent thread!
- Joel
Old 03-30-2006, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

i daily drive my spooled car 90+ miles a day.
The only thing i notice in this thread is that lots of people messed up and got HUGE 35 spline axles.
people are running LOW LOW 8's on 30 and 31 spline axles.
HUGE axles rob power and are just dead weight.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

what is a spool
Old 05-07-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

both tires are locked together, they always spin at the same speed.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

cool, thanks, so its strictly a drag thing?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jwhert
cool, thanks, so its strictly a drag thing?
Depends on the person. i have no problem daily driving my car 90+ miles a day with a spool.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hugger1975
mine is being put in now.

can anyone describe what its like taking a turn.
or a freeway exit.
is it that noticable?
what dies the other wheel wanna do on a sharp exit?

just curious.
i plan on mine seeing some street time
Driving the streets I could manage it for slow cruising. Freeway driving why would you even consider a drag race spool for that.
Your gonna be "hopping around" just trying to park it.

But to each his own.

If you get in a wreak and it's bad enough to warrant an insurance adj. to do a "comprehensive inspection" They won't like what they see, well the other drivers lawyer $$ will.

Keep that **** on the track.
Read up on what a differential does
Old 05-08-2006, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
Driving the streets I could manage it for slow cruising. Freeway driving why would you even consider a drag race spool for that.
Your gonna be "hopping around" just trying to park it.

But to each his own.

If you get in a wreak and it's bad enough to warrant an insurance adj. to do a "comprehensive inspection" They won't like what they see, well the other drivers lawyer $$ will.

Keep that **** on the track.
Read up on what a differential does
It is obvcious you have NEVER driven a spool in these cars. Our suspension can handle it better than old school cars.
Like i said i DAILY DRIVE my spool and it drives EXACTLY like it has a posi in it 95% of the time. The ONLY time you notice it is when you make a SHARP turn (like turning into your driveway) or while parkig in a parking lot. And even then all it does is chirp and shimmy the tires a bit. Hell i've heard some regular cars with posi's do that.
Well, you guys can either listen to the voice of speculation or listen to the voice of experience.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
It is obvcious you have NEVER driven a spool in these cars. Our suspension can handle it better than old school cars.
Like i said i DAILY DRIVE my spool and it drives EXACTLY like it has a posi in it 95% of the time. The ONLY time you notice it is when you make a SHARP turn (like turning into your driveway) or while parkig in a parking lot. And even then all it does is chirp and shimmy the tires a bit. Hell i've heard some regular cars with posi's do that.
Well, you guys can either listen to the voice of speculation or listen to the voice of experience.
He asked for opinions, did he not? I gave mine. You gave yours.
Is your experience going to be just like his?

Why even have a poll when people should just listen to you.
Go on listen to voice of experience and daily drive a spool in city traffic to work school etc... I don't care!
I was adding to the poll, won't make that mistake again master.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

He asked for opinions, did he not? I gave mine. You gave yours.
Is your experience going to be just like his?

Why even have a poll when people should just listen to you.
Go on listen to voice of experience and daily drive a spool in city traffic to work school etc... I don't care!
I was adding to the poll, won't make that mistake again master.
I guess i must have read his instructions wrong.
Originally Posted by calongo_SS
For those of you have had a spool, chime in please.
I don't mean to be a dick, but i get tired of hearing people critique things they have no experience with. Like saying a spool is horrible to drive. If you have driven a 4th gen with a spool and you think it's horrible then that is your opininion and your entitled to it. But if you haven't then its not your opinin its an assumption.
Spools and solid motor mounts have this problem. Everybody "thinks" solid motor mount will viberate the car to hell and loosen every bolt that isn't loctited down. Reality is all the guys i know witrh solid motor mounts say they are no where near as bad as people have lead them to belive. mostr even daily drive them.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you have driven a 4th gen with a spool and you think it's horrible then that is your opininion and your entitled to it. But if you haven't then its not your opinin its an assumption.
Well I have, and I wouldn't want one for a daily driver. They use differentials for a reason on the street. Sure cruising around on Friday night or whatever I could see that.

I sure wouldn't want to have make a quick turn in the rain or have to handle a downtown parking situation. These cars attract young inexperienced drivers that can barely handle them stock, so I don't want some dude thinking that a spool will drive like normal, because it won't. Like I said, too each his own.

What is this board for if not to share information? If not to critique things? Especially IF someone asks? What you find ok for the street others might not. You daily drive a race car, I wouldn't want to.
But, you're the expert.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Nothing really wrong with the Spool. Only time Its a pain is in a parking lot, basically your tires will "drag" so to speak around and hop a bit. Driving tho at moderate speed, u wont even notice it. Exit ramps and turning isnt an issue at all. It will feel a bit different when turning the car at first, but after about 2 days of driving it, I got use to it and only notice the parking lot thing. I did notice however, that if you go with a soft tire, the parking lot issue evens starts to go away, so maybe some Nittos or something like that will help.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

I don't really mind the spool, but I wouldn't really want to drive it everyday. Worst part is it chews up tires like they're going out of style.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How much does it hurt the handling? I take it you definately could not autoX or slide corners very safely with a spool. I wouldn't want one if it makes that much difference because my car is built for alot more than going in a straight line.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

If you want to AutoX, go with something like the Auburn or Tru-Track. Spool is definatly for a drag car, no doubt
Old 06-04-2006, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, I have had it a month.
I love it.

Rain + et streets can be challenging, but I'm from Chicago. I managed

Tight turns is the only time I notice it.

Quick Reply: Full Spool in a weekend warrior??