Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Oh well, $#/+ happens, but any advice? Tire shop stripped lug nut/stud

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anytime! Thats how i put my ARP studs in
Old 04-02-2006, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the last car that I installed a stud like that had the 4-channel/TCS ABS system. So I know it can be done. Your car has 4-channel ABS if there's a reluctor ring on the end of each axle. You can also tell by the little pesky traction control that you have to turn off with that button in front of your shifter.

The messed up thing is that even if this kid hasn't ever done a repair like this before, there's no in-depth knowledge needed. He's not going to be setting up the gear pattern on your rear if he were to take the axle out to do this. It's just turning bolts. Bottom line, you can definitely do this yourself, you don't need to open the rear end, and the place you went doesn't know what the hell they're doing. You'll probably save time/headache/frustration by doing it yourself instead of letting them try and fix their screw up. And lug nuts always go back on with a torque wrench not an air gun!!!! I work at a tire/repair place, and that's just the right way to do it. Takes an extra 40 seconds and makes sure you don't strip/crossthread or risk a wheel falling off while driving.

Abe
Old 04-02-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmAbe
And lug nuts always go back on with a torque wrench not an air gun!!!!
Or at least, start them all by hand, spin them on with the air impact, and snug them with a torque wrench. I can understand saving time, but these guys are just being careless. I couldn't believe the head mechanic told me it would be fine and I should just leave it with one stud with the end chopped square off with no chamfer even let alone the straight pilot to start the thread. Funny thing the kid said what I was thinking that it will destroy the lugnut after a few times on and off.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this Wal-Mart by chance? He used an air wrench to tighten the pastic lug covers?? Geez! Do yourself a favor an find another tire shop.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

He didn't full speed the plastic caps on with the air impact, but did ease them on with it. It wasn't Wal-Mart, it was PETE'S TIRE BARN in Gardner, MA. And I've gone there a bunch of times, but don't think I will ever go there again. The manager is real nice and helpful, that's why I like the place, but whenever the head mechanic told me it was fine and I should just keep it with 4 and half lug studs to save him the hassle, that was it for them with me.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmAbe
And lug nuts always go back on with a torque wrench not an air gun!!!! I work at a tire/repair place, and that's just the right way to do it. Takes an extra 40 seconds and makes sure you don't strip/crossthread or risk a wheel falling off while driving.

Abe
Impact wrenches are perfectly safe for installing lug nuts, when used with a torque stick. However plastic lug caps should never be used with any sort of air tool. Hand install only, and gently at that.

For installing the new stud, buy yourself a spare lug nut and 3-4 washers that will slide over the stud between the hub and lug nut. Lube the washers with some wheel bearing grease for easier installation.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Impact wrenches are perfectly safe for installing lug nuts, when used with a torque stick.
Yeah, but I think you start it by hand, not put the nut in the socket, put it ont the stud and hit full throttle, that's just careless.

Oh, one more thing now, went to look at it today, and no lug nut key in my glove box. Looks like the guy forgot to give me my locking lug nut key back. You'd think they would watch out for that. Where do they get these people?
Old 04-02-2006, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got ABS/TCS and replaced mine a couple times already, it's tight but it will come out and go in.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Take it to a place that knows what theyre doing, and send them the bill.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
Where do they get these people?
There's a 40% discrepancy between the number of jobs for technicians and the number of people who are claiming to be technicians in the automotive industry. So for 10 jobs there are only 6 people who will apply. Which leads to desperation on the part of management and hiring anyone with tools. All the shops I've worked for (as management/front counter) the guy in charge only wants to hear one thing from someone applying to be a tech: "Yes, I have my own tools." If they say that they'll get hired. That's where they get these people.

And torque sticks are great if the line pressure and the setting on the impact wrench are monitored/set properly. I can't wait until more shops are equipped with compressed nitrogen. Consistent line pressure for air tools, no moisture to gum up equipment or tools, not to mention the benefits of using it for tire inflation.

Abe
Old 07-16-2006, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, don't ever go back to that place!
The next time I hear about a tire flying across the highway and killing someone, I won't wonder how that crap happens.