Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Where do you find the right pinion seal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you find the right pinion seal?

No one has it, the GM dealers don't have it. It's not the CR 15305, not the Timken 8610. '01 and up has a larger pinion yoke so the inside diameter of the seal is larger.
Go to any local parts store and they give you the small one for a 2002 car, put it on the yoke and it almost touches the metal.
No wonder so many people have problems with pinion leaks.

Anyone know where you can get one on a weekend? Part #?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Clamp the pinion yoke in a vice and use two pry bars to pry that sleeve off. The new diameter is the CR 15305, the factory original is a dealer only seal so unless you can wait until monday and maybe they have it in stock, etc.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:35 PM
Banned

Dammit, now I see what you're talking about. I could have had it back together if I had known a half hour ago. I just went to all the parts stores and they all carry the old style seal.

Thanks for that information, now I know I can get it together tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Dammit, now I see what you're talking about. I could have had it back together if I had known a half hour ago. I just went to all the parts stores and they all carry the old style seal.

Thanks for that information, now I know I can get it together tomorrow.
LOL, I though you had that off already? Try to get the Timken seal, it has a double seal. Give me a call tomorrow if you need some tips on how to tighten up that pinion so it's doesn't come loose again.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Banned

My pinion didn't come loose I was just swapping gears. I went on a 20 minute drive to break them in and the seal started making noise, and leaking.

Now I'm seriously thinking about the crush sleeve, I know it was a little too tight, like about 3 inch pounds too tight when turning the pinion with a torque wrench. I know the dealer is open tomorrow and has new ones.....but I really do not feel like taking the axles and differentail out to get to it.

Theres no way to pull the front bearing out is there and leave the rest together?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
My pinion didn't come loose I was just swapping gears. I went on a 20 minute drive to break them in and the seal started making noise, and leaking.

Now I'm seriously thinking about the crush sleeve, I know it was a little too tight, like about 3 inch pounds too tight when turning the pinion with a torque wrench. I know the dealer is open tomorrow and has new ones.....but I really do not feel like taking the axles and differentail out to get to it.

Theres no way to pull the front bearing out is there and leave the rest together?
OK, if you would have cleaned off the seal and put some grease on it, it may have been fine. Were you reusing the old bearings? if so you overtightened the nut because you only need to take up the slack and then just tighten until it just starts to stick some.

No you must dissassemble the whole axle again to get the rear bearing out.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Banned

Now that I think about it the wrong seal was probably tight enough to cause that extra 3 inch pounds of drag, it was one of those times when I felt something wasn't right but ignored it, the seal was very tight.
I am using the old bearings, the car is fairly low mileage and they look good.
We'll see what happens tomorrow, I should have time to get the seal in and put it together early enough, and if it's too tight make it to the dealer, get another new crush sleeve (and seal) and start over.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Teching In

You may want to use an inch pound gauge to set the load on the bearings.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bottlefedz28
You may want to use an inch pound gauge to set the load on the bearings.
I did use it to check the preload of the bearings, but not to set it.

Got it back together, so far so good, thanks for the help with that seal.

Quick Reply: Where do you find the right pinion seal?