Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Another ABS/TCS Moser 9" problem (not caused by bumps)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Instead of trying to make it work and spending allot of money and time on a component that does nothing but cause issues with RR and drag racing guys, delete it.

Not trying to create a debate, ABS is fine on the average daily driver, it really has no benefit on any performance car. Since most of the guys on these boards are creating drag or road race setups. It does nothing but takes up space, weighs quite a bit and forces you to run tire combinations that you may not want to use. Even changing to tires that are slightly different in size may not set ABS to malfunction but it may be off enough that driving conditions that typically do NOT activate ABS...can activate it. Now you have ABS going off at times that you don't need or want it to!

Food for thought, for the guys buying rear-ends, choosing rears without ABS is typically less expensive.

Removing ABS does NOT effect normal driving. In fact, removing ABS, installing a proportioning valve can actually have more benefits with braking characteristics. The stock setup is biased correctly and setup for ABS to work best. When you change to completely different tire/wheel size, brakes etc you completely change the bias characteristics of the OEM design.

Steve
Above mentioned is the best solution in my opinion. We do have a variety of ABS delete kit just for these purposes. Look in the braking section of our website. www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_brk_ls1.html .
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andyws6
DIDN'T WORK FOR ME! Problem still persists. This makes driving this car so frustrating. Any other fixes out there? What should be my next step?
That sucks...seems like maybe you don't have the same screw in studs and are having a different problem. I was at the end of my rope with mine too and was very close to just going for a delete. But it is my daily driver and I do most of the driving in town, so I was not ready to "give up" on it (especially since it is an option that I paid for on the rear-end).

Hope you can fix it - if so please post it up.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Well, I have classes for the rest of the week but hopefully I can look at it again this weekend. I called billingsley where I bought it, left a message and they never returned my call. Hopefully I will come up with something.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

p.s. I do have the screw in studs (1/2).
Old 08-17-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

bringing it back from the dead. gonna finally do this tomorrow. wish me luck
Old 08-17-2006, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
bringing it back from the dead. gonna finally do this tomorrow. wish me luck
FYI - after putting a new clutch in it about 1 month ago I noticed my ABS light come on when I went faster than 75. I ended up adding one more hose washer and everything as been great ever since. So this fix is still working for me but apparently 2 hose washers may not be quite enough (they probably compressed a tiny bit over time).

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2006, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

You know, I probably should have added another one a long time ago. I will give that a shot. Let you know if it works.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

O.k. so I have three hose washers on the sensors now and it was better til around 60 mph. After that it started to act up again so I think I will try four washers. I won't get to it until later this week but I hope this solves it. With all this spacing, I can't help but wonder when is it too much? Is there a danger of malfunction with excessive spacing? Anywho, I'll post up how 4 washers work for me next week.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

questions:
1. what is the diameter of the sensor and the hose washers you all are using?
2. are you using a longer bolt, if so whats the length, thread and pitch?
3. are you pulling the sensor with the wheels and rotors on or off?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

1. as far as actual diameter, I am unsure. The washers are regular garden hose washers. I picked mine up from Home Depot.
2. yes I am using a longer bolt and some metal washers to evenly space with the hose washers. I had to grind on the metal washers so they would fit next to the hose washers. (you know what I mean when you start to try and put the sensor back in) I don't know the right thread or pitch, I just took the stock bolt to Ace hardware and got a longer one that would compensate for the spacing I was making with the washers.
3. I did this with everything still on the car. It is much easier if you remove the wheel but it's not necessary. Nothing else should be removed other than the wheel and sensor.

Maybe someone else will chime in with the specifics but that's all I know.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

i figured it should just slip out. mine is stuck and wont come out. thats why ive pushed it off was because i have to pull the wheels and rotors off
Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

No you don't. I had the same problem. All I did is use a razor to cut some of the plastic that is catching and then I could pull it out with the cut side facing the axle. Bit of a pain but better that removing the rotors and calipers.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

ah good. i just saw this post i was getting more and more upset about pulling the wheels and what not. well im going to give it a shot this weekend. im going to try to get the parts tomorrow if i can make it to home depot in time. traffic out here sucks!!! so to recap:
6 hose washers
2-6mm-10x25mm bolts
about 8 washers to fit over the new bolt
and a razor to try and cut off the the bushing around the sensor to get it out.

Ill post up progress or lack there of this weekend.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Good luck, I hope it works for you. Also, you only have to cut off a very small amount from one side. It's just so that it will not catch on the axle housing. Before you cut it, look at what's holding you up and then you will see what and how much to cut off.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the advice, i hope it all works out.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

after it was shimmed, how quick did the abs and tcs off lights go off? i shimmed it with 2 washers (they look pretty thick for regular garden hose bushings) 4 washers and a m6-1.0x30mm. still have the lights. im going to pull the fuses and see if that helps.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Usually mine go off after driving for a minute or two. You might have to shim more washers. After today, I will be up to four hose washers...
Old 09-16-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

wow. do u have a pic of the washers you're using? the ones ive got seem really thick. i mean it was only 98 cents for 12 washers. 6 oring and 6 of something else.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

I will try to get some for you. (don't have a digital camera) But, I am almost positive we have the same thing. I bought the same 12 pack that you did with six washers and six o-rings. I used the washers, not the o-rings.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

well i used 2 of the black orings on each side and it didnt work. im gonna try 3 and see if that helps. if not, im going with the ABS delete/linelock kit from SJM.