Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Runout on rear axle flange - how much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runout on rear axle flange - how much is too much?

I'm pretty sure I have a bent axle since I have a vibration at speed and it isn't wheel or tire (I checked all of those already). I've got the stock rear and gears in my M6 car.

I pulled off the rear wheels and rotors, then put a dial indicator on the axle flange to measure axial runout (plunger in line with the axle).

Driver side axle had about .002" runout, while the passenger side had about .018" runout. I suspected it was the passenger side axle in the first place since my brakes squeak a bit on that side too.

The question is how much runout is too much? Has anyone else checked runout on these axles?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-24-2006, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Default need a replacement

Oh yeah, if anyone has an extra (non-bent) axle out there, I need one to replace my bent one. It's a 4-channel car (traction control and ABS), passenger side axle is needed.

Joe
Old 06-26-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you can feel anything over .003...so I would think that pass side runout is too much. When you multiply that be the wheel diameter, it could be pretty noticable.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
I think you can feel anything over .003...so I would think that pass side runout is too much. When you multiply that be the wheel diameter, it could be pretty noticable.
I agree. All of the automotive engineers I know say that when they inspect axles before using them they try to keep the runout less than .001" or maybe just a few .001".

I just got an axle and I'll install it in the next few days, I'll post my results.

Quick Reply: Runout on rear axle flange - how much is too much?