Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help, broken bolt in 8.8 carrier.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help, broken bolt in 8.8 carrier.

I was going to remove my axles and carrier from my f&%d 8.8 and the small long bolt that holds the pin in the carrier sheared off. It looks impossible to get a drill (even an right angle drill) in place to drill it out. Is there any other way to get the carrier out or slid over to get the c'clips out so I can remove the axles and carrier?
Thanks.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually use a long "aircraft drill bit" to remove the broken pins. You can buy a kit that is sold to do this but the bit and a extractor is about all you need. That and a drilled alignment bolt is all that is in the kit anyway.

Originally Posted by 55chevy
I was going to remove my axles and carrier from my f&%d 8.8 and the small long bolt that holds the pin in the carrier sheared off. It looks impossible to get a drill (even an right angle drill) in place to drill it out. Is there any other way to get the carrier out or slid over to get the c'clips out so I can remove the axles and carrier?
Thanks.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the bolt/pin out. A friend told me to remove the bearing caps and see if I couldn't get the carrier out far enough to get the right angle drill and bit in line with the bolt. I did this and sure enough, I was able to drill it and use an easy out on it.

DynoDr, thanks for your suggestion. That would have been my next move.