Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt Diff opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default 12 bolt Diff opinions please.

I have a Moser 12 bolt with 33 spline axles, 4:10 gears an Eaton HD posi, 4 channel. M6 car.

Today I blew up the diff at an autocross. Sounds like spiders or the carrier it self.

My problem is I have a 3750lb car that is used for Drag Racing, autocrossing and general cruising. I ran 11.03@129mph last year with 1.482 60fts.

But I also love to autocross the car and need a diff in it for the street. Spool is not an option.

My NA power is 500+rwhp and will be adding 150hp wet shot very soon.

Will the Eaton be the best or the TruTrac.

I know the TruTrac will be best for the autocross, but can it withstand a low 1.4 60ft and 700 rear wheel torque?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Rampant
Old 08-07-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well..... lets see here. You beat the hell out of it, but you are still using stock internals in your Eaton ?? And you did say Moser right ??..... there are two of your biggest problems, right there.

It sounds like you need an B.O.E. unit from Tom's Differential.... with a heat treated set of spinders and the cross shaft, a steel clutch pack and step down to the 400lb preload springs vice the 800 pounders.

A 1.4 60 is going to beat up anything you put in a differential.... no matter if it were a 12bolt, a 9" or a DANA.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by chicane
Well..... lets see here. You beat the hell out of it, but you are still using stock internals in your Eaton ?? And you did say Moser right ??..... there are two of your biggest problems, right there.

It sounds like you need an B.O.E. unit from Tom's Differential.... with a heat treated set of spinders and the cross shaft, a steel clutch pack and step down to the 400lb preload springs vice the 800 pounders.

A 1.4 60 is going to beat up anything you put in a differential.... no matter if it were a 12bolt, a 9" or a DANA.
I'm intrigued. Tell me more.

PM sent.

Rampant
Old 08-09-2006, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for a good question. I wanna know too
Old 09-16-2006, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

I have a moser 9" and believe the posi is going to go out soon, any information on whether its possible to beef up the posi in amoser 9" would be GREATLY appreciated....... again spool isn't an option for me either.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The Truetrac is stronger than the Eaton, and is the better choice for drag racing. Bob
Old 09-18-2006, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

I'm guessing the step down to 400lb springs would be for the road racing? 800 still better for drag racing?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dame
I have a moser 9" and believe the posi is going to go out soon, any information on whether its possible to beef up the posi in amoser 9" would be GREATLY appreciated....... again spool isn't an option for me either.
Exactly which type of posi is it ?? Two pinion or four pinion Trac Lock or an Auburn?? I would lean towards a TrueTrac or a Detroit Locker..... obviously dependant on what you plan to do with the car. I personally drive a locker every day without any complaints. But there are some things that the ends user needs to know upfront and that there is going to be a learning curve if one is used. That is why so many will probably say TrueTrac..... and for most, I agree.

Originally Posted by jay_99z
I'm guessing the step down to 400lb springs would be for the road racing? 800 still better for drag racing?
Well, kinda sorta, no. In a tuned unit I dont even use the pre-load pack for street, autoX or road racing applications. If I did however, I would use the 400lb pack over the other two available.

For a dedicated 1320 car, I have used the 800lb pack, as long as it wasnt a daily driver. And even then, for a dual purpose car, I would still only recommend a 400lb pack.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Well, kinda sorta, no. In a tuned unit I dont even use the pre-load pack for street, autoX or road racing applications. If I did however, I would use the 400lb pack over the other two available.

For a dedicated 1320 car, I have used the 800lb pack, as long as it wasnt a daily driver. And even then, for a dual purpose car, I would still only recommend a 400lb pack.
Why is it bad for street use? More wear to the clutch packs? I drive the car on the street a lot too. Any idea what the HD Eaton comes with from Moser?

Soo....I might just be better off going to a Tru Trac intead of rebuilding the Eaton? I've driven a Locker and a spool and I didn't care for them too much on the street.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to learn as much as I can.....since my posi is starting to go.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heat and wear.

The HD units come with 800's. If you rebuild the Eaton, it can be tuned to reduce heat and wear.... with or without and preload pack.... of which the pack can be can be purchased seperately. I would also change over to the OE solid steel disc clutch pack vice the fiber clutches.

Yup, I agree. Spools are a joke. But lockers are/can be a lot of fun. I love drifting my truck on onramps.....
Old 01-14-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Reading all this leaves me confused still. What would be the overall best diff to get for a car that is built for all out drag, but still see's a couple summer months of street use and possibly the odd 1 or 2 long drive. (5+ hour road trip)
Old 01-15-2007, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

bump!!