Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wheel Bearing / Axle pitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel Bearing / Axle pitting

My stock rear end was sounding like a 4 x 4 so I went out and bought an upgraded stock ten bolt. When I pulled the axles out of my stock rear, one of them was pitted where the Axle rode on the wheel bearing. Everything rearend wise was replaced except the rotors. Probably less than a year later, its gradually began to make the mudding tires noise again. I'f concluded that since the rotor was the onlything I changed over, it must have been warped and ruining my axle with the undue stress from the rotor..? I want to replace the axle with the good one from my old rear. You think it damaged the bearing or the seal. Its starting to leak a little. Appears to be coming from the outer end of the housing...
Old 08-10-2006, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

if the diff is leaking from the axle seals then I would replace the bearings
with the seals. also if the axle is pitted then deffinitly put new axle in it. the axle acts as the inner race of the bearing
Old 08-11-2006, 02:32 AM
Teching In

You need new axles, bearings and seals. I think summit carries yukon (sp)brand for a lot less than OEM.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Pitting is normal. With luck, you'll get around 50k miles out of O.E. I had both axles and bearings replaced under warranty @ about 60k. Have 88k now and no axle noise.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing / Axle pitting