Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ok pretty sure i just got screwed over... help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok pretty sure i just got screwed over... help!

ok so here is the deal... i bought a new set of richmond 3.73 gears for my a4 z28. when i drove off with the car, they sounded terrible... really bad grinding in reverse, very loud whining at a steady speed, and after letting off the throttle... i went back to the guy and he told me that the gears were cut wrong, it wasnt his fault, and that i would just have to live with the noise. he also claimed that my install kit, which i also got from richmond had a faulty bearing, so he ordered a new one and charged me the 120 dollars. i took the old one back to the place i got it from and they said they couldnt send it back because it was used and he had torn up one of the metal seals. i am willing to bet that he got the gears on, drove the car, and blamed it on the bearing. when he put a new kit on it was just as bad so he said screw it and gave me the car. he claims that the noise is normal because richmonds have a "rough cut", but for some reason it doesn't sound normal to me when you can hear it from 50 yards away, and not even the radio will drown the noise. the third time i spoke with him he claimed to have had everything set up perfect... back lash at 5 thousands i believe he said, which i thought was supposed to be between 8 and 12. what does it sound like the problem is? could it be cut wrong, or did he screw them up>? i suppose if he did i will have someone else put a new set in and take him to small claims... but how do i prove he messed them up? im very low on money and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

have someone who knows what theyre doing take a look at the ring and pinion and if they see a "wrongfully cut" gear and the backlash is good then you know hes telling the truth. if he sees the opposite and something by the installer is wrong, take his *** to court.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had richmond 3.73s in my t/a. they whinned a little, but nothing even close to what you are describing. i would definetly have someone else take a look at them, because this guys storying sounds like
Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad setup in my opinion, or the guys just an idiot. I've built a few rear ends, and things got to be on the money, seems even more so with performance gears. Maybe he just reused the old shims and didnt set it up, either way, somethings off big time.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad i read this im not getting richmonds now thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Banned

And what bearing in there costs $120? You could probably buy all of them for that much.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take the car to another shop, and don't mention the name of the place that set the gears up until after they've told you their opinion (just incase they know the guy at the other shop). when someone who knows how to set up a rear takes the car for a ride, they should have some idea of what the problem is.

richmonds whine alittle bit, but the way that you're talking sounds like he didn't use the correct shims.

where are you located? maybe someone up here can suggest a reputable shop for you to go to. (if you were in NC i would take a look)
Old 08-30-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"wrongfully cut" LOL then why the **** did he install it?? This guy is completely full of ****.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Teching In

thanks everyone for the help... im about 100 percent sure he is full of **** too... i am in missouri... and i was wondering where i could find motives or quieter gears.. i looked for them before i bought the richmonds but i couldnt find a series 2 carrier 3.73 gear... since i have to buy a new ring and pinion anyways might as well get something else.