Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

AAM cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAM cover

Got the SLP AAM cover waiting to be installed and I have two questions: where does the little magnet go? I ask because it does not stay. and also should I use the fel-pro gasket with rtv or just the ultra black rtv? The felpro gasket does not have holes for the recirculation holes on the cover.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

On my AAM cover there is a groove machined around the gasket area for a bead of rtv.
The little magnet goes in the bottom of the housing where there is a low spot kind of V shaped.
You also need to remove the differential and grind oil drainback slots in the axle tube ends by the bearings.
After I installed mine it started spraying oil out of the vent at high speed. If you look at it, the passenger oil channel directs oil right under the vent. What I did was remove the vent and tap the hole for a hose barb fitting, then run a 3/8 hose up about 10" and put the vent in the end of that.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I understood the first two sentences but I got lost at drainback slots and the hose. ?? I'll take a look a it.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedWS601
I understood the first two sentences but I got lost at drainback slots and the hose. ?? I'll take a look a it.
Do you know why you bought this cover?
Well it directs gear oil into the cover, through the holes you were worried about the gasket covering up and into the axle tubes.
The cover should have come with templates to show where to grind the slots.
Why grind slots? Well all the oil that goes into the axle tubes needs to come back doesn't it?
As far as the vent tube, you can figure that out later.
This cover is a little more than just looks.

Last edited by 8a8mfh; 01-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I knew the cover was for cooling teh gear oil but I didn't know about the grinding part. Assumed it was just a bolt on. I don't understand what I have to grind and with what? The templates were there too. Are the bearings the two identical round things next to the two holes that vent oil through it?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Banned

To install that cover properly ou need to remove the rear wheels, brake calipers, rotors, old cover, wheel sensors, axles, differential.

All this is so you can grind the drain back slots. If you don't make the slots the axle tubes will fill with gear oil. It won't make it back to the center section soon enough so the gears and diff might run low on oil, and it might leak the oil out of the seals or vent.
I did mine during a gear swap but I don't see any reason why a 1/4"to 5/16" hole can't be drilled with everything in place (except for the cover) instead of pulling everything out. Then you'd need to flush the metal shavings out somehow.
No offense but if you don't know where the bearings are, you might not be able to properly disassemble it and grind the drainback slots.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

No offense taken, but geez I didn't know all that was involved. I studied it for a half-hour and I see the vent holes. Where exactly do I need to grind these holes. I know this will hinder the cover useless but can't I put a gasket over the two holes? Oh by the way I appreciate the help you are giving me.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Banned

The first picture is the template laid in an empty housing, second pic is a red line that shows where to grind it out, third pic shows where the cover directs oil close to the vent hole, there is a stick showing where.

Last edited by 8a8mfh; 01-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's like finding water off a boat now. In all these pix, is the housing already grinded? Because I see where you mean but if I could see one that wasn't grinded I would get it completely. How far down do I have to grind it?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Banned

In all these pix, is the housing already grinded?
No this is an untouched housing I have sitting in my back yard. I took the pics just to put them here.
This cover didn't come with instructions? I got mine off a '97 SS wreck in a junkyard and thought it was going to be a bolt on deal too, until I did a google search and found the templates. I had no idea how deep to grind it and no instruction. I used a die grinder with a 1/4" carbide burr and made a slot about 1/4" by 3/8". In the area of the red line in the middle pic, did this on both sides.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool great help, all I have to do now is do it. Thanks man