Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Will the 10bolt hold up 400-450rwhp.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCurtin
lmao at all of these replies. 568ftlbs of tq and my 10bolt is still holding up. A couple 1.7 60fts, many many 1.8s, pretty much spraying right out of the hole. 10bolt is still back there.
Burn the hell out of your clutch if you want, thats your choice. My 10 bolt went out with just the cam. You gonna laugh at that?

With all the broken 10 bolts lying around you think you can seriously justify your statement?!?

You've had good luck with yours and ride the clutch to save it because you know it would shatter. I know people who have shattered their 12 bolt with an auto. Go ahead laugh at that and tell me your friends car has a 10 bolt too.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Burn the hell out of your clutch if you want, thats your choice. My 10 bolt went out with just the cam. You gonna laugh at that?

With all the broken 10 bolts lying around you think you can seriously justify your statement?!?

You've had good luck with yours and ride the clutch to save it because you know it would shatter. I know people who have shattered their 12 bolt with an auto. Go ahead laugh at that and tell me your friends car has a 10 bolt too.
Of course I can justify my statement. You "with all" with all where? I always hear "its gonna blow" yet out of all the fbodies up here putting down serious power I have yet to see one go racing. 1 guy had his go while driving to work. He doesnt even race and the car is stock.

So yeah I can talk, I dont know it will shatter. I have dropped the clutch coming out of the hole, it doesnt work for me, thats why I dont do it. Why shouldnt I be able to talk, I have the power and it still aint broke.

All I know is everyone always talks down the 10bolts, yet I can rattle off 5 that have over 550tq to the wheels that are local and havent still havent had them replaced.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dumped the clutch once did ya?!? Wow. Get any traction with that dump? dead hook did ya? Thats why your riding the clutch because you dont have any traction.

For those of us who want to dead hook, chances are its gonna break. Like I said you've had good luck because of the way your driving it.

If you believe in the 10 bolt so much lets see you drop the clutch with slicks on consistently. Thats what the upgrade is for. Consistently abusing it.

I dont know, you laugh at people who have broken their 10 bolt and say you know better because you slip the **** out of your clutch and have had 2 1.6 60's and avg 1.8 out of the hole. No I dont think you should be talking praise for your 10 bolt when you drive to protect it.

Might have sat better with me if you didnt just come out and laugh at all who have had a bad experience with the stock rear. Just because yours and your friends are holding up to your style of driving doesnt mean that you have the absolute knowledge of the breaking point of the stock rear.

Honestly it seems to me that you know it would break, thats why you slip. Traction ( or the shock it causes) is the breaker not the HP.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-10-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Dumped the clutch once did ya?!? Wow. Get any traction with that dump? dead hook did ya? Thats why your riding the clutch because you dont have any traction.

For those of us who want to dead hook, chances are its gonna break. Like I said you've had good luck because of the way your driving it.

If you believe in the 10 bolt so much lets see you drop the clutch with slicks on consistently. Thats what the upgrade is for. Consistently abusing it.

I dont know, you laugh at people who have broken their 10 bolt and say you know better because you slip the **** out of your clutch and have had 2 1.6 60's and avg 1.8 out of the hole. No I dont think you should be talking praise for your 10 bolt when you drive to protect it.

Might have sat better with me if you didnt just come out and laugh at all who have had a bad experience with the stock rear. Just because yours and your friends are holding up to your style of driving doesnt mean that you have the absolute knowledge of the breaking point of the stock rear.

Honestly it seems to me that you know it would break, thats why you slip. Traction ( or the shock it causes) is the breaker not the HP.
Lets get something straight, I didnt know I would hurt someones feelings. Not once am I laughing at those who have fragged a rear end. I laugh at the fact that so many people jump in saying "OMG 10BOLT IS GONNA BLOW!!" "ITS ON BORROWED TIME!!!" Those are the people that crack me up.

If I slip the clutch and get the exact or better 60ft, does it matter? Are we not trying to achieve the same goal? What would be the point of me dumping the clutch if I dont have to? You can it protecting the rear, say what you want, its still holding. I'm not one of those guys that scream how they blew the 10bolt with bolt-ons.

People ask if the 10bolt can hold up, yes it can obviously if you want it to. I dont have the absolute knowledge of when its going to let loose, but I guess you do, and every other person does that just so happens to post on this site.

Why are you talking to me about HP? I havent said anything about that, I brought up tq, TQ and traction break rears not HP.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I daily drove drag radials and im pretty sure I broke it when I was at the track cutting a 2.2 60' lol. It wasent making good noises when I put the car in gear after that. Some peoples **** lasts and some dosent. its all luck.
Mine broke stock with nittos and my friends is still holding up with an H/C 3500 stalled car on M/T's. some might last a few months some last a few years but they will all break sooner or later
Old 10-11-2006, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 bolts are just a ticking timebomb. They will not last long behing high HP levels. Some last longer than others.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Lets get something straight, I didnt know I would hurt someones feelings. Not once am I laughing at those who have fragged a rear end. I laugh at the fact that so many people jump in saying "OMG 10BOLT IS GONNA BLOW!!" "ITS ON BORROWED TIME!!!" Those are the people that crack me up.

If I slip the clutch and get the exact or better 60ft, does it matter? Are we not trying to achieve the same goal? What would be the point of me dumping the clutch if I dont have to? You can it protecting the rear, say what you want, its still holding. I'm not one of those guys that scream how they blew the 10bolt with bolt-ons.

People ask if the 10bolt can hold up, yes it can obviously if you want it to. I dont have the absolute knowledge of when its going to let loose, but I guess you do, and every other person does that just so happens to post on this site.

Why are you talking to me about HP? I havent said anything about that, I brought up tq, TQ and traction break rears not HP.
And that is why I am faster than you! I have a 9". I can dump the clutch, slip it whatever I want to do and I know that I do not have to worry about the frickin rear end breaking. 10-bolts are frickin ticking time bombs with a 6-speed. Heck I broke mine going to 3rd gear and I don't power shift. It is just a matter of time before you break yours.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Of course I can justify my statement. You "with all" with all where? I always hear "its gonna blow" yet out of all the fbodies up here putting down serious power I have yet to see one go racing. 1 guy had his go while driving to work. He doesnt even race and the car is stock.

So yeah I can talk, I dont know it will shatter. I have dropped the clutch coming out of the hole, it doesnt work for me, thats why I dont do it. Why shouldnt I be able to talk, I have the power and it still aint broke.

All I know is everyone always talks down the 10bolts, yet I can rattle off 5 that have over 550tq to the wheels that are local and havent still havent had them replaced.
You'll feel differently after yours breaks. I know I did. I thought I was one of the lucky ones too...I had logged 250 passes leaving at 5,000 rpms on an M6 car.

But just because yours is still alive... that doesn't mean that the thousands of other f-body owners are going to have the same luck. So when someone asks, can my 10 bolt handle 450hp on a dead hook - should we tell him 'yes certainly!' because 1/5 fbody owners did ok with their 10 bolt?? Or be honest with the kid and tell him 'maybe' but perhaps he should start thinking about putting money aside for a 12 bolt?

I just like to be honest with people. As I drove home from the track behind the tow-truck that was flatbedding my Z28, I started thinking, yeah maybe I should have bought a 12 bolt so I wouldn't be dropping $110 to tow it back to the house.

PS: Besides what is the fun of making 550hp and cutting 1.7 60s? I did that with 390hp. I don't know about you but I want to get every last tenth out of my car, and that means I'm going to leave the line pretty hard.

Last edited by keliente; 10-12-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have probably built.... over a thousand 7.5" 10bolts. They will all brake in their own time. Physics alone will justifiy that.......

Originally Posted by keliente
PS: Besides what is the fun of making 550hp and cutting 1.7 60s? I did that with 390hp. I don't know about you but I want to get every last tenth out of my car, and that means I'm going to leave the line pretty hard.

Last edited by chicane; 10-12-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said earlier, I didn't want to believe it either. But my 10-bolt is on its way out, and the best my car has ever put down on the rollers is 340/356. The ring and pinion are fine, but the posi is not having it. Never a sticky tire, never more than a 2.1 60' at the two whole times I've ever been to a track.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Junkie

mine has rust on it.. it makes it stronger
Old 10-16-2006, 06:33 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
mine has rust on it.. it makes it stronger
Actually, I'm pretty sure the interaction between the rust and the leaking seals on mine has made mine damn near indestructable
Old 10-16-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

mine fortuneatly doesnt have leaking problems! but im telling u only 27k on the clock + rust makes it so much stronger
Old 10-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm making 485rwhp and still running the 10 bolt (motive 4.10's,det. truetrac, chromemoly axles) its been fine.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

mine blew on the street on the 1-2 shift, EVERYONE locally has blown their 10 bolt. it is proven to be a ticking time bomb with sticky tires and bolt ons although i have seen some 1.6 60fts on them before but that was with an auto. basically if u have a 6 spd car, its gonna blow if your rough on it
Old 10-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Launching!

mine blew yesterday evening on 18" BFG KDW's (STREET tires, not DR's) on a 2 grand, fast slip launch. only 50,000 miles on the car. it WILL happen, question is when.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

well mine has many passes on it, plenty on the spray. I inspect the rear and have changed the fluid many times. After drag week I didnt have one metal shaving when I changed the fluid AGAIN.

Ticking time bomb? Sure, why not. I used to think mine was going to go when my car was stock. Its still standing and holding on. When it breaks I'll post up about it.

You guys act like I have never dumped the clutch off the line in my life, 10bolt still holding.

For alll of the umpteen million that broke a 10bolt "leaving stoplights turning a corner pulling into the garage or just plain parking " I'm sorry that yours went out. Everyone seems to have a "MY 10BOLT WENT OUT" super story.