Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

horrible *clunk* in the rear 9" w/ true-trac

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horrible *clunk* in the rear 9" w/ true-trac

last night my car started to make some ungodly noises from the rear end while turning. I've got a moser housing and 31-spline axles, strange pro-series case, daytona nodular pinion support, jeg's brand 4.11:1 gear, and a detroit True-Trac.

either left, or right turns with the clutch let out sounds like something is binding up in the rear end, something like I would relate to a locker doing while locking/unlocking around corners, it will do it either forward or reverse, although not as bad in reverse (maybe due to less speed).

it makes no noise what so ever if you have the clutch shoved in, even if you were start into a turn with the clutch out it will make the noise, shoving the clutch in WILL make the noise stop.

it's got me stumped, kinda seems like a big-rig with slop in the driveline (the jerking from loading/unloading the diff.)

this rearend has LESS than 500 miles on it. I just put in the pro-series case/pinion support and the ring and pinion after my factory case exploded. the only thing I re-used was the true-trac from the other 3rd member, with only 2 teeth missing off the old ring gear, I saw no way that the posi unit could be bad.

any help? BTW, running a jeg's brand adjustable torque arm, lakewood LCA's, stock everything else.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned

thats what a locker is...when you engage it..its like a spool...and does make clunking noises...its nothing to worry about
Old 10-27-2006, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransAm6383
thats what a locker is...when you engage it..its like a spool...and does make clunking noises...its nothing to worry about

I would agree if I actually HAD a locker, but I don't it's a true-trac.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

The Posi is Bad
Old 10-31-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

Just had the same experience. I opened up the Tru-Trac and the worm gears were destroyed. I bet some debris from your ring gear failure found its way into the tru-trac and damaged the worm gears. It is only a matter of time before it quits working all together.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Eaton warranties them for 1 year so you may want to contact them if you are under the warranty still.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Resurrecting an old thread... but I recently bought a car with a Detroit Locker, 4:10's, Moser 9", 35 spline axles, etc. I notice the jerking lock/unlock (I think) when turning slowly making sharp corners. I am hoping this is natural? I have fresh fluid (80w90 non-synthetic with lsd additive) as recommended. Should it be this jerky? I have always has Torsen diffs in my cars. This is a whole new experience. I tried searching but the results were mixed. Some people said they had the jerking, some said they didnt.

Anyone have a Detroit Locker and have the same experience? My rear has around 8000 miles on it is all.

THanks all.

-GF
Old 09-09-2007, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

I have a Tru trac in my 9" and it is nice and quiet if it is making noise something is up. The tru trac is a non serviceable unit. As for the d locker yes it is completely normal for them to clunk and jerk when turning tight corners if you let off the gas and then turn the corner it should stay unlocked and shouldn't jerk. The d locker is also fun on the highway at speed and locks and can kind of pull you around in your lane. I've had both units and am very much enjoying my tru trac right now.

Scott
Old 09-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same clunking from the 10bolt. The posi gearing was all torn up.

Quick Reply: horrible *clunk* in the rear 9" w/ true-trac