Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What caused my bearings to go out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What caused my bearings to go out?

Both my axle bearings are dying, the tire shop confirmed it and there was a nasty "grinding" type sound when the tires were rotated coming from both axles. I have noise but no vibration when driving, the left rear is the worst. Was my car beat on or something, or do things like this "just happen"? The car is bone stock has 75K miles and I think is on the factory stock clutch. VERY CLEAN, I just cant see how a car with tires (30% left) and even treadwear from front to back side to side was beat on. Did this "just happen or did I get a WELL cleaned up track ****

BTW, oil pressure even with M1 10-30 was always 40+ PSI even hot and heatsoaked at 750rpm idle.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your oil pressure has to do with your engine, not your rear end.

Bad axle bearings are caused by mileage, not changing fluid, etc.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by keliente
Your oil pressure has to do with your engine, not your rear end.
Bad axle bearings are caused by mileage, not changing fluid, etc.

I know, someone jsut told me my car must have been beat on to kill the axle bearings at 75K miles but NOTHING points to it being beaten on and I was listing that. I was wondering if 75K miles is normal for axle bearings to go out on these cars? Both mine are dying, the left worse than the right but both axles make a grinding type noise when rotated and its gotten worse (inside the car while driving) recently. I just wanted to know if driving style mattered or if it was a "well, it just happened" type thing
Old 12-02-2006, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a car. Parts fail. Sometimes there is a reason, sometimes there isn't.

If the car was abused, the axle bearings would definately NOT be an indicator of it...
Old 12-02-2006, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My axle shafts and bearings were just replaced this week and I don't race the car and it only has 67,000 mi. Luck of the draw.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swapped out the gears in my 2002 camaro when it had around 32,000 miles on it, it used to be a near stock automatic car. It was never beat on. One of the side bearing races for the carrier was pitted up real bad, well on it's way to destruction. I guess it's one of those things that just happens.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Banned

Okay, I can live with "just went bad" and I thought that axle bearings was NOT and indicator of beaing beat on (I figured teh 10-bolt/clutch would die LONG BEFORE a wheel bearing did if it were from abuse). The car just is so CLEAN! but after several people told me "wow, guess someone beat the hell out of it before you" I got a little nervous. Thanks, next week it seems im going to be replacing them. What are the chances the axles are trashed too? (I just have noise and its not THAT loud, but definitealy not ur normal sounds, but I dont ahve vibration yet). I know, VERY subjective question, but my mechanic says 110% trashed (hasnt heard the car yet even), what do you guys think, are bad axle bearings necessarily a death sentence for axles in this car? Doesnt the axle act as the bearing race?
Old 12-02-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

If those that tell you that worn axle bearings are an indication of a beat car, which is otherwise clean, don't listen to them anymore. Parts fail, abused or taken care of - nothing is bulletproof, and bearings sure aren't an exception.

And yes, the axle does act as the inner race for the axle bearing. Generally when the bearing fails, it pits, and so does the axle. Just replacing the bearing will not work, as the pitted axle will soon destroy the new bearings.

You have 2 choices:

1. The recommended method. Replace both the axle(s) and bearing(s).

2. Some aftermarket bearing companies sell an offset wheel bearing kit. This kit includes a re-engineered bearing that rides on a different location on the axle, eliminating the need for a new axle.

Pitted axles pose a strength and durability problem, and WILL present themselves at an inopportune time down the road.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

how much are oem spec replacement axles...where can i get them other than a dealer?
Old 12-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

Bad axle bearings could also be causing this whining sound I am hearing sometimes (very minor whining) but I cant pinpoint where its from, this is "normal" when axle bearings go out too?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you're looking to buy new axles, go aftermarket. OEM pieces work well, but the aftermarket axles are stronger for nearly the same price.

And worn/failed axle bearings will not cause any sort of whine. Whine normally is generated in the transmission or rear (gear whine).

It is possible that the bearings are so bad that the metal filings from the damaged bearing have found there way into other parts of the rear and damaged them. It would be wise to remove the rear cover and thoroughly inspect everything. Axle bearing failure usually does not affect the rest of the rear, but it is possible in extreme cases.

Can you describe when you hear the whine in a little more detail? Speed, load, throttle percentage, accel/decel/coast, etc...
Old 12-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned

some whine at around 67-73 mph, not loud, usually just when cruising. It may be normal, I dunno. This car has about driven me crazy with the **** that goes out on it. I will be tearing the rear end apart in the drive way next week and my dad is letting me barrow my old 5.0 GT from him. I cant wait to drive it again, will be nice not worrying about **** breaking for once. Arg.

I am taking my mechanic for a ride in it tomorrow and he can listen to all the crap its doing. I dunno, just pissed over it really. I shoulda held out till I coulda afforded a mach 1 or found a 99-01 Cobra.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Who cares if someone beat on it, it is an LS1 for chrissake, it's not going to break because someone floored it. I *promise* you, there is not a person in this world who owns an LS1 f-body and never floors it or never takes it above 2k rpm's and whatnot. This is what they are made for. The only way you can be totally sure that you buy a car that hasn't been beat on is if you buy it brand new and drive it off the truck yourself before the PDI guy gets to it

The axles are probably fine. Do not buy new ones, or new aftermarket ones. If they are ruined (really doubt it) just give someone $25 and get them from a wrecked car, no sense in going new.

PS you don't want a 99-01 cobra or a mach one...what you've got is quicker and has a lot more potential.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Banned

Who cares if someone beat on it, it is an LS1 for chrissake, it's not going to break because someone floored it. I *promise* you, there is not a person in this world who owns an LS1 f-body and never floors it or never takes it above 2k rpm's and whatnot. This is what they are made for. The only way you can be totally sure that you buy a car that hasn't been beat on is if you buy it brand new and drive it off the truck yourself before the PDI guy gets to it

The axles are probably fine. Do not buy new ones, or new aftermarket ones. If they are ruined (really doubt it) just give someone $25 and get them from a wrecked car, no sense in going new.

PS you don't want a 99-01 cobra or a mach one...what you've got is quicker and has a lot more potential.
All its done is sit around broke, first it randomly refuses to even turn over, then the IAC, random dying, and now wierd sounds from the rear that people diagnosed as bad axles/wheel bearings Sigh* I really hope this is just a lump of shitty luck and I will be done with it when I get this fixed. Its such a pain telling everyone the car you traded your 88 GT for is a paperweight

I also dont like all the gravel sound in the motor when you rev it and the revs come down, but I guess its teh roller rockers and all, I dunno. None of my families fords had issues with axle bearings for the rear end and I promise the X cop cars we had saw som many beatings it wasnt funny. Anywho, will be tearing the rear end apart this week. Any advice or tips or anything?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Banned

HELL YES! friend at the Mopart dealership PM'ed me back and said he would do my axle bearings for $75. DONE. Will call him as soon as he pm's me his new cell #.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Good. It should not be that expensive anyway, wheels off, rear end cover off, axles out, pull the seal, remove bearing, remove race, reinstall backwards. Good luck. Don't forget new fluid for the rear end.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Banned

Good. It should not be that expensive anyway, wheels off, rear end cover off, axles out, pull the seal, remove bearing, remove race, reinstall backwards. Good luck. Don't forget new fluid for the rear end.
I was going to re-use it, im on a budget, college and all, it only has 75K miles on it and should be good, no?

I kid, I kid, lol. 75-90 M1 with GM addative okay? or what weight should I use?

also, what are the odds I need new axles and who would have them IN STOCK that I can get them from immediately if he tells me one/both axles are bad?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

odds? like a 1 in 50 chance.

Who has them in stock? Probably a dealership but thats going to be big $$. I have two in my garage.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Banned

so im prolly good to go with what I got? awesome
Old 12-03-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

odds? like a 1 in 50 chance.
WHAT!? I've done countless axle bearings (in more than just the F-body) chassis, and everyone REQUIRED new axles. Axle bearing noise comes from the bearings being pitted, and because the axles and bearings are precision matched machined parts, what happens to one surface happens to the other.

Replacing a bearing and not replacing the race (axle in this case) is an improper repair, and is completely foolish.