Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

c-clip removal problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I put the wheels back on without the rotors to give me a little more leverage. I stood the axle on it's side and used the weight of the tire/wheel to try to push the axle in a little more. It still didn't work. I am completely baffled by this and near my wits end. The other rear end that the axles are going into is out of a 99 and the the c-clips dropped right out of it with no effort. I am totally lost.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Theres got to be something keeping them from sliding in. The c-clips got on there somehow.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

I know, that's what has me so puzzled.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:02 PM
9 Second Club

If you can get a good look at where the axles come through the carrier. look and see if something is catching the spines from coming all the way in burrs, clips, debris of some sort.
It sound like there is something holding it up right where the c-clip and the splines start on the axle.
Maybe there is something holding it at a place that you cannot see behind the c-clips. Where is is bottoming out at on the flanges?
Is there a burr on the outside of the axles from the bearing or something, that might be holding it up.
And is the rear that your tring to get the axles out of been damaged or was it in an accident?
Only asking thinking that maybe there is some other problem that you or we are over looking.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by N2O-ARMD
If you can get a good look at where the axles come through the carrier. look and see if something is catching the spines from coming all the way in burrs, clips, debris of some sort.
It sound like there is something holding it up right where the c-clip and the splines start on the axle.
Maybe there is something holding it at a place that you cannot see behind the c-clips. Where is is bottoming out at on the flanges?
Is there a burr on the outside of the axles from the bearing or something, that might be holding it up.
And is the rear that your tring to get the axles out of been damaged or was it in an accident?
Only asking thinking that maybe there is some other problem that you or we are over looking.

the rear end came out of the car I'm driving. It was fine when I pulled it on Monday night. When I pulled the cover there were no shavings or debri in the gear lube and the wear pattern is perfect. It seem like the axle is bottoming out on the end of the axle tube. I can hear a distinct metal to metal thud when I try to push it in with any sort of force. Man this is frustrating the heck out of me.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:13 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Try pushing the side gear out away from the axle. If you can get a small pry bar in there, or turn the axle so the open end of the c-clip is showing and pry there. When you push both axles in how clase are they in the middle? Are you seeing a decent amount of movement in the shaft itself? Try turning the axles a few rotations either way to see if the reseat the worm gears. Maybe there is something wrong in the torsen and you need to reseat the side gears.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:27 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Also, some torsens have washers that can be moved over that sit next to the side gears. Have you slid these out of the way when you are trying to move the c-clip? Just move them to one side, remove the c-clip, then the other side. I dont remember the factory torsens having them though.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Try pushing the side gear out away from the axle. If you can get a small pry bar in there, or turn the axle so the open end of the c-clip is showing and pry there. When you push both axles in how clase are they in the middle? Are you seeing a decent amount of movement in the shaft itself? Try turning the axles a few rotations either way to see if the reseat the worm gears. Maybe there is something wrong in the torsen and you need to reseat the side gears.

that's kind of what i'm think is that there may be something wron with the torsen. I put the center pin back in and it rotates and acts like it should. I took it back apart and it still won't let the axles come in. the axles only come in about 1/4 of an inch before I get a distinct metal to metal sound.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Also, some torsens have washers that can be moved over that sit next to the side gears. Have you slid these out of the way when you are trying to move the c-clip? Just move them to one side, remove the c-clip, then the other side. I dont remember the factory torsens having them though.

I don't see an washers that will come out. The only washers I see are the shims for the carrier.

Thanks for the bits of advice so far too.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

I win! Just said to hell with saving that rear end and cut the bearings and shims out with a grinder/hard wheel. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Teching In

I also had to cut the bearings and shims out to remove the c-clips. When I got them out I looked at the axle seals and they were hammered from the axle being beat in. So I'm still at a loss for why the axles wouldn't go in far enough. Hopefully the new parts go together easier.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Teching In

My axle has had axle bearing/seal repair kits put in it since the original bearings were spinning in the axle tube. The kits add approx. 1/8" to the length of the tube, making it impossible for the c-clips to fall out w/o cutting the carrier bearings out. Just thought I would inform everyone.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

I think 99Z28camaroman and 2K1WS6TA is correct

my .02s Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 12-28-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

I'm having this same exact problem!

The d. side C clip came out no problem, I've tried hitting it with a hammer, ratchet straps and a magnet with scribes. Just like Pirate I need another cards width.

I need the backing plates to put on my other rear.
Is the only solution to cut out bearsings/shims?

If so where do i make the cut?
Old 02-17-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

I ended up having to cut the bearings because I too needed the backing plates for another rear end. I cut the the washer just to the wheel side of the bearings. I cut a notch big enough to slip out and give me the clearance needed to pull the c-clips. you will screw up the bearing too so just go to town on it with a metabo or some type of cut off wheel.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:36 PM
14 Second Truck Club

The thing I dont get is that they got in there, so they should come out. Seems like there is something else going on.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Well I got it out. I ended up just getting two C clamps and positioning them across from each other on the axle flange. First I tried one but it was just pulling the axle together on one side. As soon as I evened up the pressure it went in quite abit.
I was then able to pick it out with a scribe. Upon further inspection the opposite axle that the first clip slid out so easily was bent. I'm stumped on that one.....
Old 08-31-2017, 01:39 PM

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Ls1Envy
Well I got it out. I ended up just getting two C clamps and positioning them across from each other on the axle flange. First I tried one but it was just pulling the axle together on one side. As soon as I evened up the pressure it went in quite abit.
I was then able to pick it out with a scribe. Upon further inspection the opposite axle that the first clip slid out so easily was bent. I'm stumped on that one.....
Thanks for the info after loosing hours trying to get the c clip off i ran into your thread, the c clamps really helped out
Old 08-29-2019, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem on the passenger side. Ended up buying a die grinder and some cutting wheels from Harbor Freight and cutting the passenger side carrier bearing race out so that I could move the diff around just enough for the C-clip to fall out. Check out the pictures to see if you can tell what caused this (hint: it's the same as someone else above).

Passenger side axle bearing.

Passenger side bearing (right) for you to see how I cut it.

Driver's side axle bearing
Old 06-24-2020, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Just to clarify, in order to get the axles to slide in far enough to easily remove the C-clips, the ABS sensor definitely needs to be removed first.

If you've removed the ABS sensor and still can't get the axles to slide in enough to remove the C-clips, then you likely have a twist in axle in the spline area that is binding on the differential side gears. You'll need to drive the axles in w/ a hammer to remove the C-clips and then pry apart the axle from the diff end (or use a slide hammer at the flange) to free it from the side gears.

Quick Reply: c-clip removal problems