Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

c-clip removal problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 06:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running in to the same issue on the passenger side of our 2001 Firehawk. C-clamps didnt help. Had to quit for now, but I did some research. There are two widths of axle saver bearings. They list a 1.4" and a 1.2" width as fitting our cars. Check out NAPA or Rockauto and you will see the info. I also checked the ACDelco parts website and they only list the 1.2" wide bearing. A difference of 0.2" in width could be the issue. Next time I go in there, I will remove the ABS sensor and I will make sure that if we have to uses an axle saver, it will be the 1.2". Car is presently out of state so further investigation is on hold.
FYI, the aftermarket 1.2" bearing ( at NAPA ) is the less expensive part and it leaked so we went with the more expensive option which turned out to be the 1.4" bearing. Needless to say, we didnt take measurements first.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by george88gta
Running in to the same issue on the passenger side of our 2001 Firehawk. C-clamps didnt help. Had to quit for now, but I did some research. There are two widths of axle saver bearings. They list a 1.4" and a 1.2" width as fitting our cars. Check out NAPA or Rockauto and you will see the info. I also checked the ACDelco parts website and they only list the 1.2" wide bearing. A difference of 0.2" in width could be the issue. Next time I go in there, I will remove the ABS sensor and I will make sure that if we have to uses an axle saver, it will be the 1.2". Car is presently out of state so further investigation is on hold.
FYI, the aftermarket 1.2" bearing ( at NAPA ) is the less expensive part and it leaked so we went with the more expensive option which turned out to be the 1.4" bearing. Needless to say, we didnt take measurements first.
If the wider 1.4" bearing causes the interference, then how would you get the C-clips IN to begin with? Once I got the ABS sensor out and pushed the axles in all the way, there appeared to be more than 0.2" of clearance between the C-clips and the ID of the diff. Therefore I'm skeptical that this could cause the problem.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some new info. The jury is still out. I will post up when I get a resolution. Dont hate the poster LOL.

Dont want to start WW III, but here is some info. I completely agree that you should avoid axle saver bearings. It is a hit and miss proposition. If you check the dimensions, they range from 1.2 inches in width to 1.4 inches in width. There are numerous reports of folks who cant get the C clips out when axle saver bearings are installed. A difference of .2 inches could make a difference. I did some research and AC Delco offers RP5707 repair bearing which is 1.2 inches wide. If you add the width of the stock bearing and seal, you have a combined width of 1.2 inches. So it looks like AC Delco may have gotten it right. We have a 2001 Firehawk that had axle saver bearings installed and I cant get the passenger side C clip out. Lots of opinions/suggestions, but I havent been successful as yet. Car is out of state so I cant work on it. When it returns, a rebuilt rear axle assembly will be installed so I will have time to dig in to the issue. Bottom line is to avoid axle saver bearings unless you do some research.

Last edited by george88gta; 07-04-2020 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: c-clip removal problems