Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

c-clip removal problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c-clip removal problems

2000 10 bolt. stock 2.73 gears. I have pulled the center paddle, the abs sensors and the axles still don't seem like they go in far enough. I have tried popping them with a screwdriver, tried using a magnet and still nothing...

When I did this on my other 10 bolt a couple years ago I remember them dropping right out and it was a 10 bolt out of an 02. Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the center pin out? The axles should push in and you can fish the c-clip off with a magnet. Make sure you turn the c clip so the back is facing you. There's no real trick to it. They sit in there pretty loosely.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 552 Likes on 438 Posts

Smack the center of the axle with a sledgehammer. They'll pop out just fine.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:38 AM
9 Second Club

If you have the center pin out and the axles won't go in far enough you might have twisted your axle so you might have to get agresive with it and use a bigger hammer. Be carefull though if your axles are twisted and you jam them into the spider gears you will have a hell of a time getting them out once the c-clips are out. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have a TCS car, you will have to pull out the TCS sensors. I didn't realize this when I did a gear swap. Of course, I hadn't been on this website before then either.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Alright.The axles WILL NOT come in far enough to release the c-clips. I have beat on them as hard as I can and still are only coming in about 3/4's the width of the c-clip. the c-clips are loose but I need about a playing cards width more to allow them to drop.The car was bone *** stock when I bought it so twisted axles are very unlikely. Just like I said in my first post I have removed everything necassary to complete this task. Anyone ever had a similar problem?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:23 PM
14 Second Truck Club

People have had this problem before. If you can get a ratcheting tie down strap and go around both axles and crank it down you should get it tight enough to get them both out. Or you can do them one at a time with a big clamp.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mzoomora
People have had this problem before. If you can get a ratcheting tie down strap and go around both axles and crank it down you should get it tight enough to get them both out. Or you can do them one at a time with a big clamp.

I just broke my 6" c-clamp trying to push the axle in. Maybe I'll take the bolts out of the main caps and see if I can get them to move a litle that way.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:00 AM
9 Second Club

Taking the bolts out of the carrier won't help you and make sure that you dont mix them up they have to go back on the same way they came off (if you already took them out). And being bone stock doesn't mean you can't twist an axle I did.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Use the ratcheting tie-down strap...even if you have to go buy one, they are only $6-7 for cheap ones. Then wrap it around both axles and crank them down. It will pull them in far enough to get the clips out.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by N2O-ARMD
Taking the bolts out of the carrier won't help you and make sure that you dont mix them up they have to go back on the same way they came off (if you already took them out). And being bone stock doesn't mean you can't twist an axle I did.
I'm not reassembling this one all I'm using is the axles (if I can get them out). But BOTH axles are giving me problems. Both come in the same distance.

I tried a ratcheting strap too and nothing seems to budge them.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:31 AM
9 Second Club

Can you see the TCS ring does it look like it hitting anything on the axle tubes. Ive never heard of any one having this much trouble before. something is definitely catching on something in there. I would start looking at anything around your axle flanges. There is nothing internal (in the carrier) that can stop the axle except the pin.
So its got to be at the backing plates. sorry I can't help you any more than that.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have it in neutral? Try grabbing one of the rotors and rotate it forward and backward a few times while pushing in. Stupid question, but you have removed the calipers right?
Old 12-15-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by N2O-ARMD
Can you see the TCS ring does it look like it hitting anything on the axle tubes. Ive never heard of any one having this much trouble before. something is definitely catching on something in there. I would start looking at anything around your axle flanges. There is nothing internal (in the carrier) that can stop the axle except the pin.
So its got to be at the backing plates. sorry I can't help you any more than that.

There is probably 3/16 ths between the reluctor ring and the backing plate bolts when it's pushed in all the way. I can see all ariund the ring as I have removed the parking brake as well.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Do you have it in neutral? Try grabbing one of the rotors and rotate it forward and backward a few times while pushing in. Stupid question, but you have removed the calipers right?
The rear end is out of the car and on jackstands. It is completely stripped of everything except the carrier and axles. The rear end that the axles are going into is right next to it. The axles came right out of that one.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pirate3
The rear end is out of the car and on jackstands. It is completely stripped of everything except the carrier and axles. The rear end that the axles are going into is right next to it. The axles came right out of that one.
Put the wheels back on, and get a buddy to pull on one wheel while you pull on the other?

I only suggest putting the wheels on because it might give you a better surface to pull from/with a little more leverage.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:27 AM
12 Second Club

If you have a traction control car you need to take out the sensors from the back of each of the back plates unplug the wires and they are held in by a 10mm bolt.This will give you an extra 1/8" enough to remove the c clips. You don't need to beat on anything.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Z28camaroman
If you have a traction control car you need to take out the sensors from the back of each of the back plates unplug the wires and they are held in by a 10mm bolt.This will give you an extra 1/8" enough to remove the c clips. You don't need to beat on anything.

It is completely stripped of everything except the carrier and axles
Old 12-16-2006, 10:20 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I think it has been said already, you may have twisted splines. If they are twisted just past where they come out of the side gear it will stop them from going all the way in. You can try beating them in with a hammer, just hit the axle dead center so you dont warp the flange.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

The axles are bottoming out on the outside of the axle tube and i'm still shy about 1/16th of an inch. It just seems odd that BOTH axles would be twisted the exact same amount.

Quick Reply: c-clip removal problems