Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Getting a weird growling noise when I turn right

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a weird growling noise when I turn right

when and only when I turn the wheel to the right whether it's alittle or alot I hear this growling noise. I can hear it from 30 mph and up as my speed increases the sound gets louder and deeper. I can feel vibration in the gas pedal and the floor board. I've rotated tires, checked the rack and pinion, checked P/S fluid, checked for play in the wheel bearings and still can't come up with anything. Any ideas or thoughts... I can't leave my car at a dealership for a couple days for them to get around to checking it out cause I have work and classes start soon.
fyi my car is a 2002 WS6 M6
Old 08-23-2002, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Getting a weird growling noise when I turn right

I'd guess a broken or loose engine mount, trans mount, rear suspension mount. If you feel it in the pedal, it's driveline related, most likely.

It could also be something grounding out, again due to bad mount.

If the dealer can't diagnose the problem, you and a buddy could try this. One drive and one crawl around inside the car listening for the loudest source of the noise. A mechanic's stethescope might be useful; probe the body areas where the rear control arms attach, trans area (torque arm mount), front wheel well, etc. That might give you a clue as to what's hitting/rubbing/loose/broken/unattached.

To check if it's road speed or engine speed sensitive, try different gears at the same speed. It should be obvious if it's engine or driveline related. I'm guessing road speed sensitive (not engine).

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from the front or rear? Out of diff fluid? Diff shot?
Old 08-24-2002, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side. I've switched out tires with a friend today just to eliminate it being the tires. I can only hear it from 30 mph and up. it sounds like it's a tire rubbing the inner fender well but even if I turn the wheel slightly like half an inch it'll make the noise never going straight or to the left but only to the right. It sounds like it's related to the speed of the tires cause the pitch changes the faster I go. There's no play in the front wheels to lead me to believe it's a bearing plus the sound doesn't go away or get quiet when I press the brake pedal it's acctually gets deeper and louder. I check the rear diff fluid yesterday and it's full, I have enough P/S fluid, I've raised and lowered the air pressure in all the tires... I have no idea what it could be.

Quick Reply: Getting a weird growling noise when I turn right