Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Auburn Pro-Series v/s Torsen Zexel Unit? Best Price for Auburn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auburn Pro-Series v/s Torsen Zexel Unit? Best Price for Auburn?

Who's had experience with the Auburn Pro-series compared to the stock torsen unit? Much better? I found it for $378 on a 4x4 website for our cars. Didn't SLP install these in some of the f-body cars certain years/models? Where is the cheapest place that anyone has gotten one of these units from?

Here is a comparison on Auburns website of the different posi units.

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke.../truestory.pdf

<small>[ September 13, 2002, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: badbird88 ]</small>
Old 09-13-2002, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Auburn Pro-Series v/s Torsen Zexel Unit? Best Price for Auburn?

If you're deciding which to buy, I'd get the auburn for straight line duty and the heavy duty Torsen for twisties. The heavy duty torsen is more comparable to the auburn pro-series anyway in price and performance. For $100 you can get a stock torsen take-off from SLP. If you're trying to decide to replace an existing torsen in your stock rear, it's a waste of money IMO. I'd just run a higher viscosity fluid to up the bias ratio in the torsen and leave it alone.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Auburn Pro-Series v/s Torsen Zexel Unit? Best Price for Auburn?

I'm going to be going into the rear and replacing the 2-cut gears with the old style 5-cut gears where the teeth are tapered on the ring and pinion instead of the same thickness so that i can try and eliminate the loud whine i have and while i was in there I thought about upgrading the stock torsen unit with an Auburn Pro series posi unit.

However you are saying that it would be a waste of money to replace the stock torsen unit? I only have 4000 miles on the car now.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by badbird88
I'm going to be going into the rear and replacing the 2-cut gears with the old style 5-cut gears where the teeth are tapered on the ring and pinion instead of the same thickness so that i can try and eliminate the loud whine i have and while i was in there I thought about upgrading the stock torsen unit with an Auburn Pro series posi unit.

However you are saying that it would be a waste of money to replace the stock torsen unit? I only have 4000 miles on the car now.
im in your same boat...im hearing good things about the auburn proseries... as far as changing fluids... i tried that didnt work.

anyone know if the auburn proseris is better than the eaton unit???
Old 09-22-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

my rear is on its way out so what should i replace it with im gonna be adding more power ie cam ans 150 shot and 2.8 str verter and i use nittos but at the same time i do corner heavly and often i like to drift my car so whats one good for me and why
Old 09-22-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not bother with the "heavy duty" Torsen unit
at $400+, when the T-2R is about $505 from Strano.
Both are well heavier duty than the OE piece but the
preload and high bias means you go, even if one tire
is airborne.

Mine's going in Thursday along with 3.42s,
and all new pumpkin guts.

Quick Reply: Auburn Pro-Series v/s Torsen Zexel Unit? Best Price for Auburn?