Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Apparently you can break a 12 bolt on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I've had a few Moser rears for customers that I have dealt with, including one right now that a customer purchased about a year ago. I talked to Moser, and they told me to have the customer ship them the rear center section for them to look at. I'm only an hour away from Moser, so I deal with them on a first hand basis. I sell enough of their rears that I've never had them not help me out when a customer has a problem. Bob
I'm sure your telling the truth Bob. The hole problem is you shouldn't have to buy hundreds of there rears a year to have them replace faulty or warranty parts. I'm not trying to hurt your buisness either, but at the same time the other people on this site are getting screwed over by a big name company that can afford to replace the products that they should be backing up. I have bought products from you before and your company is great. I would buy from you again, because you are very helpfull. I personaly bought a Moser 12 bolt because they asssured me it was the strongest 12 bolt out there. When in fact my 10 bolt lasted longer. They screwed me out of $2000+ dollars and thats why I posted after hearing somebody else had the same problem as me. IMO Strange is the manufactory to go with if your looking for quality.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

I've had a few Moser rears for customers that I have dealt with, including one right now that a customer purchased about a year ago. I talked to Moser, and they told me to have the customer ship them the rear center section for them to look at. I'm only an hour away from Moser, so I deal with them on a first hand basis. I sell enough of their rears that I've never had them not help me out when a customer has a problem. Bob
Good business rule #1
Make all of your customers feel like they are the best. Thats bullshit if they say "oh well you bought your rear from business B which doesnt sell as many of our rears as business A so we are not going to do anything about it." Am I wrong to say that?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

We sell a ton of these rears, and we have very little trouble with them, it that helps. Bob
Bob, please try an dhelp me out if I have any failures on my Moser 12 bolt. and I hope my aluminum center section will enhance my performance as will the 33 spline axles.

I also hop emy BMR body mount torque arm will reduce stress on the rear as well. I will be insalling SFC bolt on and end up welding them in later on and the TA also has a DS loop.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

strange has just as many problems
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=strange+broke. you just have to pay more and wait longer for the **** to arrive .

heres another
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=strange+broke
Old 05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, they gave me that option too, but for me to ship it to them and back to me at my cost would be almost as expensive as fixing it because I would have to build a crate and ship the entire rear. And they've already shafted me once, so what's to say they wouldn't do it again if i shipped them the rear and they said it there was no way it was their fault? If I had the money, I'd swap in a Strange just because of the customer service.

Last edited by jimbo98z; 05-05-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:41 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
strange has just as many problems
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=strange+broke. you just have to pay more and wait longer for the **** to arrive .

heres another
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=strange+broke
There are a lot of people on here who are very happy with their Moser rear-ends, and there are a lot of people who are happy with their Strange rear-ends. You'll also find people who've had problems with both brands. Problems can happen, a rear is a part that is subjected to a lot of abuse. Bob
Old 05-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

I would read this now that I'm able to buy a rear. Now I don't know which one to go with

It's a damn shame to spend 2K on a rear and to have the same problems as a 10bolt. It's all GM fault you know
Old 05-06-2007, 07:47 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The 9 inch rears have much fewer problems with them than the 12 bolts do. Bob
Old 05-06-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

then why do people keep buying 12bolts im such a dumbass
no problems w/ mine yet, but im worrying just as much as when i had my damn 10bolt

should have bought a 9in w/ 4.10s
Old 05-06-2007, 09:42 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
no problems w/ mine yet, but im worrying just as much as when i had my damn 10bolt

People just automatically think of upgrading to a 12 bolt, which certainly use to be the norm. With the horsepower that is being made today, the nine inch is the rear that needs to be used. The power that use to be thought of as being a lot, such as that of an '70 Chevelle 454/450 LS6, just isn't much in today's world. Bob
Old 05-06-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

OFF TOPIC: EPP how much for a 4.10 gear set, w/ install kit???

its a 3rd series i believe, no tcs, just ABS
Old 05-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

Originally Posted by mcamarols1

you can go 9's with a 12 bolt with no problems if its setup correctly. and if you plan on doing that, forget about trying to run any kind of posi because they will probably break. spool is the way to go for that application.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vtec
you can go 9's with a 12 bolt with no problems if its setup correctly. and if you plan on doing that, forget about trying to run any kind of posi because they will probably break. spool is the way to go for that application.
i was talking about about going to a 9in rear, so that i wont have to worry about my 12bolt breaking or failing me(i thought id never say that)
Old 05-06-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking about the moser... but then i read this. The fact that the only person really defending the product is a guy who sells them says a lot.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

I talked to Scott at DLS and he said he would back his Ford 9 in. rears for 12 months which means if there are any problems with it you send the center section to him and he handles it with Moser. After reading about all the problems with Moser's custmer service I wouldn't buy one any other way.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a Moser 12-bolt with 18,000 miles on it. Took it on vacations for long sustained drives, run Nitrous when I feel like it, waste some rubber off the tires at times and the only issue I have had is a leaking seal I damaged during the install. I also found that using certain brands of Limited Slip additive work better.

A big thanks to Scott at DLS for taking the time to answer my questions on the Limited Slip additive. I must admit that I was frustrated after calling Moser about the same thing. I wanted an answer and the salesman on the phone had no clue of how to help me. Maybe the uper managment at Moser is not aware that the people taking calls are all stressed out and just trying to get the phone call done instead of actually helping.

I am only 30 minutes away from Moser and could go there and bug them if I wanted. I picked my 12-bolt up from them directly and the people in the shop were very helpfull and answered all of my questions. The shop was well organized and actually quite clean for the work they do.

There is some input from someone who does not sell Moser products. I can not comment on Strange because I have never had any dealings with them. I can say that I have made large purchases from other vendors and they were patient and helpfull when placing the order but afterwards I was constantly put on hold and given quick get him off the phone answers. I am not here to slam anyone just wanted to point out that Moser is not the only place that has tech support issues.

Just my .02 worth. Might not even be worth that(inflation sucks).
Old 05-08-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not saying they're all bad. I was more pointing out the bad customer service than a faulty rear end. Just normally if a company ships a bad part, they should replace it. Not to mention all the time on the phone and being on hold or being handed off to someone else and having to tell all the details over and over again only to be told nothing could be done.

The tech support guy I talked to at Moser before I bought it told me the rear would hold deep into the 10's and probably well into the 9's. I fully believe that if set up properly with QUALITY parts then you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

People just automatically think of upgrading to a 12 bolt, which certainly use to be the norm. With the horsepower that is being made today, the nine inch is the rear that needs to be used. The power that use to be thought of as being a lot, such as that of an '70 Chevelle 454/450 LS6, just isn't much in today's world. Bob
Then companies that make and sell 12 bolts should at least mention that to the people buying them. Never once was I told "You should probably go with a 9 inch because there's still a good chance of the 12 bolt breaking" by the Moser people. Is there any upgrade situation where a 12-bolt would work and 9-inch wouldn't? If not, why do companies even make and market 12-bolts anymore? The costs are about the same, so if the company were to tell me that the 9 inch is just a better rear, it wouldn't be a problem and I would most likely not be in this situation.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to hear that Jim. What are you going to do? Fix the 12 bolt or buy a 9 inch?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keliente
Sorry to hear that Jim. What are you going to do? Fix the 12 bolt or buy a 9 inch?
I'm fixing the 12-bolt because I can't afford to swap it out for a 9 inch right now. Depending on how summer work goes, a 9 inch may be on the way some time over the summer. We'll see how it goes...