Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Apparently you can break a 12 bolt on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Apparently you can break a 12 bolt on the highway

So I've got a Moser 12-bolt (specs in sig) with less than 9,000 miles on it that's never seen the track or drag radials. I was cruising on the highway Thursday on the way from school (Charlotte) to home (Raleigh) and at about 70 mph the gear whine went nuts and got incredibly loud and then started vibrating and grinding. Pulled over to find the pinion puking out gear oil .

Pulled the cover off and checked everything out, and the pinion bearing is cracked, and the pinion gear and ring gear are torn up. Waiting for Moser to get a supervisor at their tech support line (tomorrow) and hopefully will have some new (free) parts on the way along with a check for the labor cost. It's a blatant bad part, not overstressed. The rear was pre-assembled by Moser as well; they told me all I had to do was bolt it in and fill it with gear oil then break it in.

Hopefully this won't cost anything *crosses fingers*
Wish I had gone with a 9" or Strange 60...
Old 04-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that sucks man. They should re-emburse (sp?) you though. Cause like you said you were not putting any hard strain on the rear end going highway speeds. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it was a loose pinion nut...

You wish you would had gone with a 9" or D60... I wish you would have purchased something other than Moser.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:22 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

This is a rare problem that is not common with Mosers products. It could be a defect in a vendors part. Bob
Old 05-01-2007, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Or.......incorrect pinion preload from Moser.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lets see... a defect in a venders part... that Moser uses. Uhmm...

Do you consider it rare if I have heard about this very same problem some ten plus times on this site alone ??

In actuallity, over the past 18+ years I have dealt with Moser... its not that uncommon. Maybe to some new vendors... but not to those that have been around.

The majority of the related problems I have be witness, have been from the inner races not being driven in all the way and/or not staking the pinion nut correctly and using the incorrrect LokTite on the threads.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by chicane
Lets see... a defect in a venders part... that Moser uses. Uhmm...

Do you consider it rare if I have heard about this very same problem some ten plus times on this site alone ??

In actuallity, over the past 18+ years I have dealt with Moser... its not that uncommon. Maybe to some new vendors... but not to those that have been around.

The majority of the related problems I have be witness, have been from the inner races not being driven in all the way and/or not staking the pinion nut correctly and using the incorrrect LokTite on the threads.
You know, I sell a lot of Moser rear-ends. Sometimes three to four a day. We don't run into problems very often. I have looked into your past post, and in almost every one of them you come across as being very sarcastic. Who worked at Moser 18 to 10 years ago may or may not work there now, things change, progress is made, etc. Bob
Old 05-02-2007, 06:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have 18,000 miles on my Moser 12-Bolt now. The only problem I had was a seal I damaged while installing. Also had to learn that the GM Limited Slip Additive does not work as well as other brands. At least in my application.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
So I've got a Moser 12-bolt (specs in sig) with less than 9,000 miles on it that's never seen the track or drag radials. I was cruising on the highway Thursday on the way from school (Charlotte) to home (Raleigh) and at about 70 mph the gear whine went nuts and got incredibly loud and then started vibrating and grinding. Pulled over to find the pinion puking out gear oil .

Pulled the cover off and checked everything out, and the pinion bearing is cracked, and the pinion gear and ring gear are torn up. Waiting for Moser to get a supervisor at their tech support line (tomorrow) and hopefully will have some new (free) parts on the way along with a check for the labor cost. It's a blatant bad part, not overstressed. The rear was pre-assembled by Moser as well; they told me all I had to do was bolt it in and fill it with gear oil then break it in.

Hopefully this won't cost anything *crosses fingers*
Wish I had gone with a 9" or Strange 60...
Good luck man! I had a Moser 12 bolt break on me and they wouldn't do **** for me. It only had 433 miles on it when it broke. I talked to everybody at that company including the owner Rob Moser himself. There probably the shittest company I have ever delt with. There customer service stinks and they are a bunch of cheap bastards that will not back up their product. Leave the 12 bolt broke and go and get a Strange Dana 60. Thats what I did and love it. Thier customer service is top notch. It will take a little bit longer to receive your order, but at least it will be right when you get it.

Last edited by 2 fast 2000; 05-02-2007 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well after talking to Rob Moser as well, they aren't gonna do **** for me.

Here's what he had to say:
1) Their parts are only warrantied until they ship
2) Adjustable Torque Arms Cause pinion bearing failure.
3) They use out-of-house bearings so it wouldn't be their fault anyways again
4) He wouldn't ship me parts because then he would have to ship everybody "free" parts
5) He was really sorry

Here's what I had to say:
1) That's just stupid. Just say it's not warrantied at all.
2) So having a correct pinion angle causes bearing failure?
3) If you put it in your product at your factory, it's your reliability.
4) If you shipped good parts it wouldn't be a problem.
5) I was sorry I ever bought his garbage.

I also told the president that I am involved in lots of local car clubs and that noone I know will ever buy any Moser products if I have any say in it.

This just doesn't tell me too much good about their products or business practices, or the management. Basically Moser nailed me to the wall on this one. In short, DO NOT BUY MOSER PRODUCTS. This is nothing against any of the sponsors, and I'm not trying to hurt your business, I just don't want anybody else to get screwed out of money, time, and driving enjoyment.

Moser can kiss my
Old 05-03-2007, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

wow. sucks that Moser couldn't do anything for you. i can see their arguement, but overall that is just weak customer service.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

a buddy of mine bought a brand new moser 12 bolt a couple years back. from day one it whined like a banshee. he followed their breakin process, and it just kept getting louder. after getting someone to check it out, they found a trashed ring and pinion. it had zero backlash.
just another tidbit to add to the pile... lol
Old 05-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Launching!

oh boy....

I hope i don't regret buying my 9" from Moser...
Old 05-04-2007, 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

Stop! I havent installed my 12 bolt yet and Im worried.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:48 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Stop! I havent installed my 12 bolt yet and Im worried.
We sell a ton of these rears, and we have very little trouble with them, it that helps. Bob
Old 05-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
We sell a ton of these rears, and we have very little trouble with them, it that helps. Bob
so it's like rolling the dice and hoping not to get a bad axle/screwed over by moser?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
so it's like rolling the dice and hoping not to get a bad axle/screwed over by moser?
Buddy I fill your pain. Just about the same nonsense bullshit I got. It sucks, but they do have the shittest customer service out of anybody that I have ever delt with. Get a Strange rearend and you'll never look back! I personally think Moser rears are junk.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

When will companies learn that not spending a couple bucks to fix mistakes is gonna end up costing them a lot more in lost business. I know im buying a Strange just from everything ive heard about moser on this site. And yes i know its a rare occurance and most rears from them will be fine and that strange will occasionally have problems too
Old 05-04-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Strange 9" ???

Sorry to hear about your misofortune, thats gotta suck finally replacing the weaklink in your car thinking your good to go and then something stupid like that happens are probably wouldn't have with the stock 7.5"... shitty..

Man Moser sure has some half-*** customer service policies. Glad I'm deadset on a strange unit.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:55 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

I've had a few Moser rears for customers that I have dealt with, including one right now that a customer purchased about a year ago. I talked to Moser, and they told me to have the customer ship them the rear center section for them to look at. I'm only an hour away from Moser, so I deal with them on a first hand basis. I sell enough of their rears that I've never had them not help me out when a customer has a problem. Bob