Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9inch and torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5
Apparently they decided to fix it with the torque arm. The bracket is just a huge chunk of metal and they didn't want to fool with that. I think they called both Moser and Spohn and each one said to modify the others piece (I know hard to believe ) It probably was something messed up in the jig and Spohn actually said they had seen this before because the tubes were all over the place in mounting location on the bracket.

Post pictures of the TA mounting location on the rear not at the tunnel if you have any.
i've got this pic:

that "huge chuck of metal" is a casting, so i doubt that is the problem, i'm guessing the tubes that it bolts to are off from where they should be....

The only way to figure out what is wrong, and what needs to be corrected is to get some measurements.
what kind of measurements? like the location of the bolt tubes relative to the axle tube, how far the stick out, how long they are? i'll try to get some later....i'll see about some better pics too.

-josh
Old 05-15-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by firebird6786
uhh...is it me or are you not running back brakes. if so why is that?
Yea they are.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

alright, i ran out and got some pics and took a couple quick measurements.....each of the tubes(that the t/a adapter bolts to) that are welded to the housing are 4 1/2 inches....the top one and the one closest to the passenger side wheel have clearence of 2 1/2 inches between the housing and the t/a adapter, while the one at the bottome nearest the center has 2 3/8 clearance.....maybe i could cut the tubes down a bit, but then i'm afraid the center section will interfere with the t/a mount....

pictures:

click on the above pics to enlarge, click on the below pics to do the same, twice to make them really big:

Old 05-15-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

any ideas? i'm thinking if i have to, i'll cut some off the front of the t/a.....
Old 09-16-2007, 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed my sphon trq arm onto my 9inch rear, and I have the same exact problem. Except, I'm getting binding problems with the top pivot hitting the DS safety loop. It just barely touches it, but it obviously shouldn't. I was thinking about milling down the back of that cast iron adapter piece, but I would need to take out almost an inch to bring the pivot back perpendicular with the crossbrace.

Adrian
Old 09-16-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Haans249
I just installed my sphon trq arm onto my 9inch rear, and I have the same exact problem. Except, I'm getting binding problems with the top pivot hitting the DS safety loop. It just barely touches it, but it obviously shouldn't. I was thinking about milling down the back of that cast iron adapter piece, but I would need to take out almost an inch to bring the pivot back perpendicular with the crossbrace.

Adrian
yeah, its pretty far off, eh? i ended up taking off the nut that is at the front of the t/a and just threaded the front bushing all the way in, that gave me something like 3/8". and i ended up having to shorten my new adjustable control arms by 3/4". but i can't go as far foward as i'd like because the back of the t/a hits bottom of the car. i've driven it all summer and its been fine, but i'm gonna mess with it some more eventually. definetely frustrating.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to hear about all your problems... i haven't had any issues with clearances!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/781110-midwest-chassis-fabricated-9-inch.html
Old 09-17-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssvert99
sorry to hear about all your problems... i haven't had any issues with clearances!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781110
nice job. what purpose car is it going on?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its for a street/strip car. i'm doing one for a buddy of mine right now that has a WS6 car. he has the torque arm and crossmember that i built for my car before the fabricated 9" was installed. i'm gonna build a adapter for the stock-type torque arm for that one. both of our cars ran 10.80s before, but mine should be well into the 9's now.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssvert99
its for a street/strip car. i'm doing one for a buddy of mine right now that has a WS6 car. he has the torque arm and crossmember that i built for my car before the fabricated 9" was installed. i'm gonna build a adapter for the stock-type torque arm for that one. both of our cars ran 10.80s before, but mine should be well into the 9's now.
thats cool, man.

i may start doing this for my cars as well. my thoughts have always been that the company's have done all this r&d, and i'd rather have something that fits right, works right for sure than jerking around with it. but as it turns out, i've very rarely had something i haven't had to mess with anyways. i just picked up a miller div2 last month and i'm getting a dynasty 200sd in a week or two. now if i could just find a place that sells patience
Old 10-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

to the top

Quick Reply: 9inch and torque arm