Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

SPOOL question???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SPOOL question???

It looks like I am shooting for the Spool instead of a Tru Track. Those of you who have a 9inch Spool in there car. Is the turning and parking the only annoying part of it? Is the noise really noticeable when turning? I have a pretty loud cam with duals and was wondering if you can hear over that outside of the car. Only reason I am shooting for the Spool instead of a Tru Track is spline option and if you're doing it once might as well do it the right way. With nitrous and built motor it should get in to the SPOOL territory. I'm having a reputable drivetrain shop down here in Texas put it together for me and set the gears so it can be as quiet as possible.

One last thing, it's not a daily driver, only track, weekend car show and gathering driven.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

go with the spool, you wont be driving it enough to really be annoyed.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search of spool threads...I have a Richmond spool and 4.10 getting ready to install in my Strange 12 bolt...I've ridden in spooled cars and its not real noticable unless you're doing some tight manuvering...But the piece of mind of no more blown limited slip clutches, broken spider gears, and knowing that both wheels are putting all your power to the pavement is well worth it...

--Alan
Old 06-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ABA383
the piece of mind of no more blown limited slip clutches, broken spider gears, and knowing that both wheels are putting all your power to the pavement is well worth it...

--Alan

That is exactly what the shop and other fellow LS1 peeps have been telling me

Thanks guys
Old 06-15-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put a spool in mine for the same reason, I wanted to know that the center section was getting power to both wheels, leaving off a trans brake thats all I need for one tire to let loose and send me into a wall or the other lane and hit someone else.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Launching!

Is the tire chirping reduced when using MT Radials at 20 - 25 psi? I was thinking it wouldn't be as bad as a regular street tire.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:47 AM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by FungusMungus05
Is the tire chirping reduced when using MT Radials at 20 - 25 psi? I was thinking it wouldn't be as bad as a regular street tire.
I have found that the softer the compound tire the less the tire will make noise/squeel when turning or spinning on pavement. I have real quiet exhaust so I hear just about everything, my M/T ET Streets make a scrubbing sound when cornering.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a spool in my Moser 9" rear. The only annoying part is tight cornering at slow speed. With hard compound street tires its pretty clunky, with tire chirps as well....but with my MT ET street radials its much improved. I have no complaints about running a spool, and I drive my car daily.

Oh and I run my ET radials at 30psi and the tire squeeling isn't bad at all.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
I run a spool in my Moser 9" rear. The only annoying part is tight cornering at slow speed. With hard compound street tires its pretty clunky, with tire chirps as well....but with my MT ET street radials its much improved. I have no complaints about running a spool, and I drive my car daily.

Oh and I run my ET radials at 30psi and the tire squeeling isn't bad at all.

That's what I like to hear. Mine is ordered and on its way. I figured with the MTs it be a lot more forgiving on the turns.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I'm going to have to disagree with everybody. I have a spoll and it's a pain in the *** if and when you do drive your car on the street. My car is more of the weekend warrior, so when I do pull it out you have to worry about getting stuck in the rain, tigh turns, and the fact that it will chew up the **** out of your tires. You do get some peace in mind at the track, but that is the only benefit to having one. Just my IMO, but to each's own. You'll have to decide for yourself.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2 fast 2000
Well I'm going to have to disagree with everybody. I have a spoll and it's a pain in the *** if and when you do drive your car on the street. My car is more of the weekend warrior, so when I do pull it out you have to worry about getting stuck in the rain, tigh turns, and the fact that it will chew up the **** out of your tires. You do get some peace in mind at the track, but that is the only benefit to having one. Just my IMO, but to each's own. You'll have to decide for yourself.
I drive my car in the rain all the time, with normal tires it wasn't noticable at all while driving. Now that I have MT ET street radials I still drive in the rain, just more carefully. My tires aren't getting chewed up too bad either, I have over 4k miles on my ET radials with some track passes, and street races and there is probably 35% tread left. IMO a spool is way more drivable then a locker, and thats the only thing remotely close to being as strong.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2 fast 2000

Yeah, I don't drive my car in the rain whatsoever, it's not a daily, and it only sees track, weekend groceries, carshows, and GTGs. I would see an issue if driven everyday, it would probably be a pain at times manuevering in tight spots. I guess we will see how bad the turn spots are when I get her up and running