Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Can anyone make a shifter gate like this.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone make a shifter gate like this.......

Why doesn't someone make a shifter gate like this for our cars? http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bhf4/DSCN0026.jpg
Can anyone out there make one? If so what would the cost be?
Old 05-08-2003, 04:09 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Can anyone make a shifter gate like this.......

There's actually a thread in this drivetrain forum about this way back near the beginning of time.

Matthew
Old 05-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

that would force you to granny shift... you wouldn't be able to diagonaly slam the shifter from 2-3..

Old 05-08-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Az28driver....

If you ever read a road test of Ferrari or Lamborghini cars, most testers have little that is good to say about the gated shifter. They all admit that you eventually learn to drive it just fine, but it takes a long time to get used to. The other thing would be...our transmissions already have a shift gate (built into the trannys) and you would have to calibrate that gate for each type of shifter and the length of throws, or make the gates extremely wide to compensate. I admit, I like the classic look of a gated shifter, but it is just not terribly practical to build. I'm also not sure how much room there is between gates on our cars...the cars with such shifters usually use a "thin" shift lever and ours are quite heavy and may not leave much room for gates (again, depending on the spacing of the gates on the exact shifter that you are using). Just my random thoughts....Good luck!
Old 05-08-2003, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Evidently you have never driven cars with this gate,I have and it is not fun[makes you very precise after a while though].
Looks good,works not so good.