Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Not another guy asking about a clunking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not another guy asking about a clunking noise.

I've been having a clunking noise, that sounds like it was coming from the rear end, for a long time. I thought it was the rear end until it wasn't effected by a gear swap. Made the noise while pulling up to a stop light at low speeds... any engine braking would stop it from making the noise.

I've seen a lot of posts about this... so I thought I'd tell everyone what I found on mine...

On the rearmost bolt on the torque arm... the steel is busted out from under the bolt, allowing the torque arm to make all this clunking. It was pretty hard to notice until I looked really close. Hope this helps someone out.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info. Ive been having the same issue & i cant locate it. Mine does it around 25-30 mph. It sounds like the rotor is banging around back there (noticeable clunk). Ill definately check this out. I already pulled the cover, inspected axles, checked torque on the LCA's, numerous retorques on caliper brackets, calipers, & wheels. How did you fix this? Do you have a pic?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

No pics... if your's is the same as mine... you'll need a new Torque Arm. I'm waiting for a UMI relocated adjustable torque bar. Looks like a good investment to me. I think that broken torque arm may have been the downfall of my last two rear ends... it being broken allows the pinion angle to change a lot.

Just take a look at where the torque arm bolt to the axle housing... mine was broken on the bottom side.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.! I will check the torque arm.